Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Max has been home a few days, he was hospitalized had some sort of serious intestinal infection. So he is on antibiotics. Cleo was getting some sort of URI, and she is on another kind of antibiotics. Zeus is healthy. So each one is quarantined to a room, each one gets food with different meds. And they all just want to come out of their "cells". So much work, cant wait till they all are healthy. Also I dont know what to do about their eating habits. Zeus and Max will inhale their food, but Cleo eats a little every few hours. But if I leave her food out then the two kittens will attack her food and then she wont have any left. I'm exhausted :(

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have 4 cats and only 2 can eat together. They are much more accepting now because at first, they did not want to do that, either. Egypt has food agression so she needs to be separated, and Lacey will also eat anyone's food in her proximity. This means 1 cat in the bathroom, 2 in the kitchen, and when the bathroom kitty is done, the next goes in. I only do this for their raw feeding in the morning.

This is every day for me. Then, at night, I feed the 2 in the kitchen, which stay the same, Egypt still in the bathroom, and Lacey in one of the bedrooms. She can't do much harm with the canned.

For this to work, you have to give them assigned meal times; no free feeding.

In your case, I say keep the 2 kittens together at mealtime since they will race each other to finish their portions and the other cat separated so they won't bother her. You may need to reverse the routine if the kittens still eat at other times that the older one doesn't. Cleo will need to be transitioned to the new schedule and eat when the food is down.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It'll get better! Once they're both off meds and doing better, it'll calm down and you should be able to rest knowing that the kitties aren't cordoned off in their "cells" pouting. It's a good idea though to keep them on a feeding scheduling, and make sure Cleo has her own little feeding area so she doesn't have to worry about having her food vacuumed up by the other two. I'm sure it's difficult since she eats a little at a time, but maybe you can find a safe spot to keep her food out that she can get to as she pleases that the other two can't get at?

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I've started feeding Charlee separate from the other girls. She finishes her food, then pushes Cali out of the way and finishes hers. Hoover.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kittens are real Hoovers thats for sure. I feed the twice a day. When I wake up I put their food down, and watch them eat while i make coffee and try to wake up. And then I feed them when i get home. I know Cleo eats at least half her food in the morning I think she is learning that the food will be gone if she leaves it too long. Also I think it's the kibble mentality, cause before there was always kibble out. And she ate whenever she wanted but now she has a schedule and is just adjusting. At night I am able to keep a better watch. I feed them and then eat in the kitchen while going through mail etc. Once the two kittens are done with theirs I shoo them out of the kitchen and close the glass door. They realize they arent getting to Cleo so they proceed to run around like crazy and break anything that looks like it can be shattered... good bye pretty lamp it was nice knowing you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts