Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tired of people criticizing how I feed my cat. I can't begin to understand how people who feed their cats whiskas and fancy feast can begin to tell ME what to feed my cat. They actually presume that they're doing a better job than me feeding their cats $5 dry food from the grocery store. They trust the petfood companies so readily, even when I talk about cat biology and science. I don't understand it! I don't have anything against people who feed their cats that stuff, but I still don't think they're in a position to tell me what I'm doing is wrong...

My cat has severe FLUTD and almost died on commercial pet foods. Things did not improve on prescription diets, so I obviously decided to take matters into my own hands. Why am I made to feel bad over this?

I am also criticized by fellow vegans (I am a vegan!) telling me that I need to feed my cat the vegan cat food. Cats are OBLIGATE carnivores, if you are going to get one you need to make sacrifices. Why impose our human ethics on a non human animal that CANNOT possibly understand them? They try to be ethical but in my eyes they are being very unethical. Would we force a cow to eat bacon? Why then should we force a carnivore to eat vegetables or stuff that has been completely synthesized? Not one of them has found proof yet that meat is not what's in a cat's best interest.

Boo is doing wonderfully on the raw meat diet. She has a thick coat, strong teeth and is having ZERO bathroom issues. This is the longest she's ever gone in years without having to go to the vet's to get her bladder drained.

I am tired of being criticized for trying to improve my cat's wellbeing!

Sorry for the rant I am just sick to death of being insulted for this! I think I am doing what nature intended for her and I only do the BEST I can do. Why is that not enough for these people?

Tiffany

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Well said, Tiffany, no complaint from me. Yes, cats each meat. Probably what we should all be doing is raising a colony of mice to feed our cats!

·
Registered
751 Posts
People are taught by their vets and the pet food industry that feeding anything like raw meat will kill your cat. Somehow they forgot that a cat is an obligate carnivore...

If a can or bag is labeled as meeting AAFCO standards, all that means is that animals don’t DIE when fed only that food for six months and don’t lose more than 15 percent of body weight. If people knew that would they feel as safe feeding just any cat food?

I have some that would not be nearly as healthy if I hadn't switched to raw. I don't think Panther would have lived to be 2 years old...and Jack and Jill probably would have had to have their eyes surgically removed. Amiga would still be a very small 5 lb cat (who is now ~10 lbs). Clover who never could keep up her wieght on commercial food would still be a very skinny cat...instead of being her perfect wieght now. So many of mine would not be nearly as good off as they are today...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your answers!

furryfriends, my cat was actually obese before going raw but has lost so much weight since then. She is now at a perfect, healthy weight and looks and feels better than ever! I think raw balances them out to their natural weight, which is a great thing!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A lot of times people mean well, but the execution is not so good. Other times people like to criticize others because it makes them feel good. The next time someone starts on a rant you would rather not get into...let them finish a few sentences and say thanks for your input, but I can manage from here. Most of the time it shuts them up because if they keep going, it's pretty clear they are just seeking a confrontation.

·
Banned
952 Posts
<<<Hugs>>>, Zhondriela, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Naturally, you want to share your happiness over your kitty's improvement. Unfortunately though, if you want to retain that joy unspoiled, you can't share it indiscriminately. I'm sorry!

I've struggled with this myself for several years. Even my own brother mocked me. *shakes head sadly*

I think people do this mostly out of self-defense. Moving from "Nooo!!! Raw food kills!!! Kibble is the best!!!!" is a major conceptual change, and that is never easy. Not to mention the overwhelmingly attractive convenience factor of dumping "food that never goes bad" into a bowl and walking away.

The PFI has the public convinced that kibble is healthy and nonperishable (which, if you really think about it, is a total oxymoron); without their resources and working one person at a time, changing that perspective is going to be a long, drawn-out battle.

Keep your chin up! Come talk to us whenever you need a like-minded audience. :)

---------

PS. After many years watching one of his two cats vomit half her meals and spending lots of money on vet visits and tests that only terrified the poor kitty, he finally took my advice, stopped feeding dry food and started purchasing primarily grain, veggie and fruit-free canned foods. His kitty hasn't been sick in MONTHS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's absurd how humans know what's best for themselves (not trusting and not buying from companies who make billions selling crap like Kraft Dinner and frozen meals) but don't bother educating themselves about what's best for their pets.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Oh, yeah, that one makes me grind my teeth.

'Cause, you know, cookies and crackers do such an awesome job cleaning OUR teeth!! Arghhhh.

You have to admire the amazing success of the PFI's marketing efforts. They have literally turned logic on it's head: pushing grains as a healthy product for obligate carnivores, a dry product as healthy for an animal that gets it's life-giving moisture from its food, and cookies as teeth cleaners!!!!!

Actually, that brings up two more reasons for the resistance to raw (and, to a lesser extent, canned) - 1) No one likes to admit they've been conned, it's painful and embarrassing; and 2) Most people really do love their cats and it HURTS to think, all of a sudden, that they could have done better by them. That, in fact, their beloved furbabies debilitating disease may have been THEIR fault.

That kind of guilt leaves a heck of a scar. :-(

Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into being more understanding!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

The worst is what I get from other vegans, telling me that I'm a hypocrite and that I don't actually care about animals. What type of logic is that? I do care about animals but I do what I have to to ensure my cat's health! People telling me that I don't deserve to be a vegan and such. Why can't I live my life the way I want to live it and feed my cat the way I want to feed her without harsh criticism from others?

·
Registered
34 Posts
All those people that say you don't "deserve to be vegan" are stupid. You don't "deserve" a diet, you do it because it's what you need or what you want. Just like your cat, you're feeding your cat what the cat NEEDS, they're feeding their cat what they WANT because it makes THEM feel better.

I think you're doing a great job at keeping your feline companion happy and healthy. I too am a vegan that feeds meat to his cat, why? Because you can't change nature, it's what it is, go with it. We just gotta get rid of as much suffering as possible...feeding a cat a vegan diet kind of goes against that.

Don't feel bad about it! Keep doing what you're doing and when you run into people like this just remind yourself that they're just being ignorant.

Oh, and don't you hate it when your vet is the one pushing kibble!?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I never heard of feeding cats raw meat untill i signed up on these boards a few days ago.. and from my perspective it looks daunting and scary to attempt... maybe thats why people argue with you .. because they need to feel better about not taking that extra step to give thier cat a good life... Im going to definatly read up on that forum

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hear you!!

I have a vet in the animal hospital I go telling me "raw is not good".

I once tried to adopt a kitten, and it was going all fine until I told them I am feeding a raw diet, I got a "That's not gonna work, but Thank you." and hang up before I opened my mouth again.

A friend of mine, holding a PhD (I expected her to be open-minded after getting her PhD) told me she is feeding her dogs kibbles for teeth cleaning. She said there is a research conducted on mice having raw and non-raw diets. The group feeding raw diets are more likely to attack people.

I have never heard of raw diet for cats. When I first adopted my cats a year ago, I came to the forum to look for "best dry food", then I found out raw is the way to go and I will never never never feed them kibbles as a meal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its all a business. Of course pet food companies and the vets that back them will tell you that raw meat is unnatural and dangerous for cats.

That's as bad as saying that raw vegetables and fruit is dangerous and unnatural for humans.

I mean, come on! Is there some kind of conspiracy here where cats cook their food on secret stoves in the wild?

Its a lot of work feeding a raw diet, so I understand it can be daunting. I do it because its whats best for my little girl! End of! :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
So far I found four very educated vets in my city who are pro-raw and have said that feeding raw is one of the best things you can do for your cat, definitely better than kibble at least. I was very happy about that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
and when your vegan friends' cats start having problems like diabetes and kidney failure from the unnatural diet they are on, you can pet your beautiful sleek-coated carnivores and remind yourself that you are doing the right thing..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Seriously, why is this topic even debated? I don't understand people and their common sense. Just because a 'professional' said it, doesn't mean it's correct. There's differing opinions even amongst professionals themselves.

But I think the major reason for being against a raw diet is because as humans, we don't eat raw meat. So naturally, people apply that to their pets as well. They fail to realize that humans and dogs or cats are anatomically different.

Also, most vets (as we know..rolls eyes) think it's better to be on a Hill's or Science Diet ..er..diet. People naturally trust 'people in authority positions' instead of 'people on a forum' so they're going to go with the idea that raw is bad!

I had such a hard time explaining things to my mother about raw. She was of the camp that 'Kibble is good for the teeth because it's hard and crunchy!' and also 'Raw food makes the pet more aggressive and bloodthirsty!' ...I do a lot of eye rolling..

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Zhondriela, I totally could have written your whole post, LOL! Including this part:
I am also criticized by fellow vegans (I am a vegan!) telling me that I need to feed my cat the vegan cat food. Cats are OBLIGATE carnivores, if you are going to get one you need to make sacrifices. Why impose our human ethics on a non human animal that CANNOT possibly understand them? They try to be ethical but in my eyes they are being very unethical.
I point out to these folks, who question my vegan-ness in light of my feeding carnivores what they were meant to eat, that if you live with a dog or cat you WILL be feeding them meat. So you can choose whether to be in control of sourcing that meat and hence, being able to make more ethical choices about it, or you can leave that to the pet food companies, who have ZERO interest in being compassionate and who use 4D animals in their pet food. IMO my concern about these issues makes me a very GOOD vegan. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rant away, you are in good company here.

I totally understand where you are coming from, their ignorance shouldn't make you feel bad, though *hugs*

Those who don't believe in feeding a carnivore meat should have a rabbit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts