Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first posting on the site. I have read through previous threads and have found items only mildly similar to what I am asking. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :wink:

I have two cats, brother-TJ and sister-Lily, who are about a year old, give or take, and in the past few days I have noticed either one (at different times) kind of coughing or wheezing. I have been around cats who "hock up" hairballs but their noises sound different. TJ just had an "attack", if you will, last night around 2am. He was sleeping on the bed next to me and I woke to him making the coughing sound, almost like he is short of breath, or...it is hard to describe in text. This type of symptom has occurred only a hand full of time with them combined, however I do not want to wait on taking them to the vet if it could be something of concern.

As I said earlier, any suggestions would be sincerely helpful. Thanks to everyone :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thomas does this same thing. At least I think he does. It sounds more like a wheez than a cough to me, at least I think it does. And it's faster than a hairball cough. It like Wheez, Wheez, Wheez...with one per second or two seconds almost. It goes on for a minute or two, then stops. It does not produce a hairball.

I'm still kind of thinking this is a hairball but I'm not sure. He only does it like once every 2 months. And it's usually while he's just laying around, so I don't think it's athsma (sp?).

Either way, we have our yearly checkup on Thursday and I plan on asking my vet about it then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kitty-
I think we are talking about the same symptoms. You are exactly right when you said it is more like a wheezing and happens every second...basically as he/she is breathing. And yes, it only lasts for a short period, too and it is while they are laying down, relaxing, not after playtime or "rough-housing". Neither one of them have had an episode since the other night and there are no other significant problems I can see, i.e. not eating, hiding, etc.

Believe me, I have been paying close attention. I lost my beloved Toby last Sept. to Leukemia (he was said to be just a carrier when tested) and within three days he went from a playful Maine Coon to passing away at the vet :( I thought he only had hairballs, when in fact he had numerous lumps in his lungs. I definitely know how quickly a feline can change from seemingly healthy to deathly ill, in just a matter of days. Hence my over-protective and probably over-reacting nature with TJ and Lily :?

They are both playing, eating, and seem to be resting comfortably with no temperatures evident. Lily sneezed a few times this morning so it almost leads me to believe they may have caught the minor cold I had last week. Yes, I know cats are unable to catch a human sickness, so to speak, however their symptoms did not reveal themselves until after I had been sick...Odd, I think :?:

Kitty, thank you for resonding and I am curious to hear what your vet says concerning Thomas' symptoms. Keep me posted?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well, that was unfruitful. I asked the vet about Thomas' wheezing fits...even went so far as to imitate them. :?

She says she has no idea what that is. She didn't think it was a URI since his lungs sounded clear and good. She said it would either be allergies or asthma. So, I was sent home with the recommendation that I track and log the occurrances, every time it happens and what the circumstances are. She thought maybe a cleaner was triggering it.

Sorry I don't have any better info. If I were you I'd do the same so that you can tell your vet exact circumstances & frequency when you bring your two in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts