Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... the most important thing is that he is a leftie!

Hurrah! A fellow leftie. I noticed that when i saw him sign something on the news. He even writes sideways ... as I do.

Pretty neat.

Its also interesting to note that 5 out of the last seven US presidents are southpaws - Obama, Ford, Reagan, Bush Snr and Clinton.

John McCain is also left handed by the way.

I bet Gordon Brown is right handed. It would explain a lot. :lol:

(Disclaimer: this is meant as a humourous post and not as a slur against the 90% of people on this forum that are right handed ;) )

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: To heck with the fact that Obama is black ...

I noticed it, too! :lol: And: A lot of actors and musicians are lefties. Was there a former president with an own CD? :wink
In Britain are a lot of lefties in the Royal family: Elizabth II, Prince Charles and Prince William are lefties, too.

Btw: Black, white, plaid... Whatever... In Germany we´ve got a woman chancellor! :lol:

(Disclaimer: this is meant as a humourous post and not as a slur against actors, musicians or acting and/or singing presidents or women and men in this forum. :lol:)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mutzi said:
Btw: Black, white, plaid... Whatever... In Germany we´ve got a woman chancellor. :lol:
PAH! WE had a woman Prime Minister. So there! With knobs on :lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts

WE had a singing Federal President, Walter Scheel chanted "Hoch auf dem gelben Wagen" in 1974. :lol:

·
Registered
6,953 Posts

Allie, I'm interested that you referred to lefties as southpaw! I thought that was just a baseball term. As a matter of fact, when we were using baseball-related names for cats (hence Rookie), we got a second cat and named him Southpaw. I got a few blank stares on that one from people who weren't baseball fans. I was disappointed when a friend told me he thought only about 20% of people in the U.S. know what a southpaw is.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh ... well I've just always known that 'southpaw' referred to people that are left handed ;)

This is what wikipedia says ...

-------------------------

Southpaw

A left-handed individual may be known as a southpaw, particularly in a sports context. It is widely accepted that the term originated in the United States, in the game of baseball. Ballparks are often designed so that batters are facing east, so that the afternoon or evening sun does not shine in their eyes. This means that left-handed pitchers are throwing with their south-side arm. However, the Oxford English Dictionary lists a non-baseball citation for "south paw", meaning a punch with the left hand, as early as 1848, just three years after the first organized baseball game.

In boxing, someone who boxes left-handed is frequently referred to as southpaw. The term is also used to refer to a stance in which the boxer places the right foot in front of the left, so it is possible for a right-handed boxer to box with a southpaw stance. Most boxers, southpaw or otherwise, tend to train with sparring partners who adopt an orthodox stance which gives southpaws an advantage.

In tennis, a southpaw holds the racket in their left hand. Because of this their grip of the handle is supposedly adjusted in a slightly different style than right-handed players.

·
Registered
991 Posts

Obama is the 8th president to be left-handed, which is definitely out of proportion to the general population. Overall only about 10% of people are lefties, and 8 out of 44 is 18%. The news report that mentioned this talked about a few traits that seemed to be characteristic of lefties, such as creativity, problem solving skills, and an ability to think outside the box. I'm a lefty too, so I gave it some thought and realized that all of those characteristics make perfect sense since we have to find ways to get by in a right handed world. Particularly in my childhood, I was faced with situations that seemed perfectly normal but were in fact a challenge because of me being 'backwards'. The end result of my school years was that I'm ambidextrous in pretty much everything but writing, and in a few things I learned to be right handed because it was simply easier. My school didn't have any left handed baseball equipment, so I bat and throw right handed. My high school had an abundance of racquets for every sport, so I can play with either hand, or use two racquets.

I suppose every minority faces challenges in fitting in with the majority - from that standpoint Barack should be a very innovative president. He's left handed, mixed race, presumed to be 100% African-American, comes from a single parent home... Yep, he's in a lot of minorities and he's made the best of all of them!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

I noticed it too! My husband is left handed so I hear the complaints now and then about being a lefty living in a right handed world. :)
I've also got my grandma, dad and a brother who are leftys. Makes me wonder how genetic it is...

·
Registered
7,457 Posts

I'm a proud southpaw. Whitekitties I am like you, I can do many things right handed, and can do somethings with either hand. When I was a nurse it could put IVs in with either hand which was was really convenient.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

I nearly didn't open this thread as I thought it might be another one of those heavy political 'exhanges of views'. :lol:

Glad I looked though, because I'm a lefty too. Though like many of the rest of you I can do quite a lot with my right hand. And in raquet sports I am equally hopeless with either hand :oops:

My Dad is also a leftie. He even uses right handed scissors with his left hand - though I've no idea how he manages that :D

Its nice to think thta us lefties are all very creative and original. But my Mum was definitely the most creative and artisitic one in our family and she was right handed.

seashell

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: To heck with the fact that Obama is black (non political!)

:lol: I've altered the title slightly.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm normal... sorry I mean right-handed :p
Seriously, my granny was left-handed, and some of the things TEACHERS used to do to her to get her to wrote "properly" were terrible.... :evil:

·
Registered
377 Posts
My mouse is on the left-hand side, I´ve got a cup for lefties and I do all things how we say in Germany "mit links" (translation: hands down / with no sweat :mrgreen: )

Okay, I am a half southpaw. :lol: I sing in the tub. :mrgreen: Am I related to presidents and Royals? :cool :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I also noticed it immediately! About half of my family are southpaws, and my daughter is ambidexterous. My oldest sister had her left arm tied behind her back to force her to write with her right hand, and it really upset her. So my parents took her out of first grade and started her the following year with my brother. I'm sure my parents made darn sure she wouldn't go through such a thing again. :( That all happened long before I was born. I don't think that sort of thing would happen again. I would hope not!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Both of my siblings are left-handed, and both are gifted in mathematics and sciences, as well as in the arts.
I'm right-handed, and math and science are like abstract paintings to me; I can appreciate them, but I don't 'get' them at all.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My maternal grandfather was left handed and was forced to use his right hand at school as they tied his left hand behind his back. In the end, he could use both hands equally well.

I'm very left handed. I do everything with my left hand.

I'm also a scientist and have a natural talent for music.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm a righty but I know a few left-handed people and I've honestly often wondered - how does a right-handed teacher instruct a left-handed person on the proper techniques of handwriting? Same for knitting and crocheting. My husband's grandmother crocheted her brains out (right-handed) and she didn't know how to teach my MIL to crochet as she was left-handed.

I've heard stories about how teachers would tie lefties hands to force them to write with their right hand but I think that stopped long ago around here.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont know about the handwriting but I do know that I was taught to knit right handed last year. I often wonder if thats the reason I still find it a little awkward and why I'm still very slow (as I say, I'm very left handed ... I dont do anything else right handed). Not that I care, because I love the knitting regardless. ;).

Naturally, I have my computer mouse on the left and it always makes me smile at work if I ask for help from one of the IT guys and he sits down at my desk and automatically reaches for the mouse to find its not there. :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I taught my nephew how to tie his shoes, and he learned rather slowly. But he learned. We felt bad when we remembered that I was right handed and he was left handed, until his mother realized that I tied my own shoes left handed! I was undoubtedly taught by my sister. She was a teenager when I was born, and a south paw. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts