Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was completely shocked when I took my son out trick or treating earlier, by all the pet cats that were out running around, or dashing out doors and jumping out screens that were taken out of doors. We even had a cute and friendly black and white one follow us until I stopped, went back and asked a few houses if it was their cat and finally found the owner, I then promptly picked the cat up and took it to the owner and was relieved to see she took it in. Didn't want it to keep following us and possibly get hit by a car, get lost, or even worse. I probably seen in total, 3 or 4 cats, running around, dashing out doors, or jumping through screenless windows. Saw an all black one jumping out a screenless window and a teenage boy dash after it and put it back in the house and not 2 minutes later, a woman came out the house and let it right back out. I'm glad Jackson is inside his new home and is safe.....wish every cat and kitten could have the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never had an outdoor cat, any cat I've owned I have kept strictly indoors, for peace of mind, so, not sure how that works. But, If you're use to you're cat being outdoors at times and you feel it's safe, then I totally understand that and that's cute he guarded the ducks. My concern was, it was halloween and as sad as it is, not everyone is an animal lover, or cat lover, so, I was just worried about their safety. Plus, alot of parents were driving their cars and pulling off to the side while the kids went up to houses trick or treating and I was concerned one of the cats would get hit and the one that was following my son and I, I was afraid he may get lost if I continued to let him.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
It doesn't sound safe for any cat to be an outdoor cat in your particular neighborhood. I know it's not in mine, either. The woman who let that black kitty back out on Halloween was totally irresponsible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marie-It really isn't....I live nowheres near the country and not to far away from a busy road and have had 4 cats dumped in my apartment complex within the last 2 months, one being pregnant and having 5 kittens. I found homes for all the kittens and a home for one of the abandoned cats that I named Jackson...my mother took him in and the other 2 don't come around that much, like once a week if that. The mother cat is staying in my neighbors garage, but, she can come and go as she pleases due to a window being out in the door and he has yet to get her spayed, which I have repeatedly talked to him about, so theres no more kittens born and he still hasn't gotten her fixed. I also had found her a home, but, he wouldn't let her go, which upsets me, with not taking care of her responsibly.
I totally agree about the woman letting the black cat back out, I mean, the guy chased it down and had it back inside and she just walks outside and lets it right back out.

audreys mum-Yes, it's definitely a high traffic area, exspecially on halloween, everyone brings their kids there to trick or treat. So, there were cars lined up and down the street, not to mention a ton of people out and about. Glad to hear yours don't wander to far off. I had one cat one time, when I first moved into my old place, that got out when I was bringing groceries in and I panicked, being in a new place, I was for sure, I'd never find her again....I went out on my deck to yell for her and there she sat waiting for me thankfully, so, from that point on, whenever I went grocery shopping or anything, I put her and my other cat in the bathroom so they couldn't get out.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have had out door cats before, I even admit that my Sherbert was allowed outdoors for short periods when he was young (that stopped by the age of 2 years). I am not going to lecture people on indoor/out door cats but this is my experience. Yes I have experienced most of these sometime in my life, so take it as my PERSONAL experience not a lecture.

Letting out a cat on Halloween is asking for it. they get scared and get lost. They follow people and get lost. They follow someone who thinks its a stray and are picked up. they are snatched, we had several a few years ago impaled and set on fire during this time of year.

Now back to the OP's observation. I noticed this too. I saw one of my resident strays following people down the street and worried about cars, thankfully he showed up for breakfast at the feeding station. I have yet to see the other, who last time I saw had blood on her face as she panicked at the sight of me and ran away. I am hoping she is just holed up and will return since my Vet has promised to take her in to treat/rehome her.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
..... but if they've been desexed, I personally dont see the harm in letting them out now & again, to do 'cat things'.
I'm afraid I don't understand. Isn't that exactly what you've been doing with Audrey? Letting her run about outside in heat?

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are a lot of strays in my neighborhood. There's one grey & white girl that has been hanging around here for at least a year and a half, two years. When I lived down the street she was probably about 6-9mo old, and I figured she had an owner because she was SO sweet. Now she still frequents my apartment, staring at me through my windows, yelling when she wants food. She growls and howls if I let her in because she's mad that I have another cat, when she used to get the run of my apartment.

The cat I thought was a stray a few days ago returned yesterday, would not go home and would not stop howling at my door. He wanted back in. Still no collar, still dirty, nails unclipped and acting like he was STARVING. I am so beyond angry at the woman that owns him, and I have seriously thought about calling her back to give her a piece of my mind. I even almost put Apollo's old collar on him just so people know he isn't just a stray.. It makes me so mad.

There is also a family on my street that I've wanted to call Animal Control on. Someone, anyone. I don't know. They had a pit bull two years ago that they kept on a chain outside on their porch with no blanket or food, all year round. Earlier this year the dog disappeared and they wound up getting a SMALL pit bull PUPPY (had to have been less than 5mo) that is currently chained on their porch, same as the last one.

The areas surrounding my block are mostly ghetto and section 8/ etc housing.. They insist on having animals that they let outside, when they can't even take proper care of themselves or their children. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts