Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of u guys may remember me wondering whether Tober is a maine coon or not.
I think he is but i aint no expert so maybe one of u can tell me by looking at these pics of his ultra bushy tail! :p (finally got some :) )

hes fairly big as far as cats go and has v long ear hair and whiskas.
and black/brown turtle shell markings with white belly.
medium length coat.

:?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It is difficult to tell if a cat is part maine coon. All I have to say is that MC cats are extra large. I had a MC cat nearly 30 years ago. He was an extra-large tabby, that someone had dumped in my neighborhood. While a standard DSH full grown male cat may weigh up to about 15 lbs, a MC can top the scales at about 20 lbs, and sometimes heavier. You could punch in "Maine Coon cat" on any search engine and read about that breed of cat plus, look at the many pictures.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im no expert either, so i couldnt tell you if your cat is MC. Im wondering if my cat may also be part maine coon. Here is a picture of her.

I did a search on them, and my cat sounds so much like them. It said that maine coon cats are very friendly, big, dont acheive their full size until they are about 3 to 5 years old. That they remain kitten like for most of their lives. They are relaxed and easy going, they like people. It also said that many of them are not lap cats. From pictures i have seen of mc cats, your cat does look very much like one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A bushy tail may or may not be the sign of a part MC cat. It is like when I first adopted Foxy, from our local shelter, I thought he was a Turkish Angora, same appearance, and habits. Now, I realize that he is a cross between a Siamese and a white Persian. The only thing about Foxy was that his ears were not set properly in order to make him a Turkish Angora, and besides being a small cat. It is like it has already been posted, that a MC cat is extra large, and they can come in most any coat pattern. :)

Are those feet of Tober's covered in white, that is all 4 of them. He could be a Snowshoe or have some Snowshoe in him. I believe that a Snowshoe is also a large cat. You can look up the traits and coat colors of the various breeds of cats on the CFA web site, which is fairly complete. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes all Tobers feet are white and he is large so im guessing part snowshoe part maine coon.
ive looked on the web but it is real hard to tell :?

·
Registered
237 Posts
does tober have extra toes (see my little picture)... supposedly polydactylism is a coon trait, from what i've read. i think my little kittie tyson might be part coon since he has 22 toes in total! that and well, he's growing REALLY fast for a little guy and is spunky, but definitely not a lap cat. his tail is pretty bushy too, esp when he gets freaked out.

good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no Tober doesnt have extra toes but he has bulked up like crazy since we first got him

maine coon:

Tober:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts