Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - hope everyone has had a great Christmas and are looking forward to a fantastic 2011!

I was hoping to start the new year with Toby having lovely clean teeth but his pre-op bloods showed elevated liver enzymes. One T4 test later and Toby has been diagnosed with feline hyperthyroidism. :( Its not exactly a shock - I've known he has a enlarged thyriod gland for a while but previous T4 tests have been normal. I guess it was too much to ask for that state of affairs to last forever.

Anyway, he has just been given some pills that he has to take twice a day and he has to go back for a check-up at the end of the month and we will see how we go from there. I'll keep you all informed of developments of course.

In the meantime, as I havent been here for a week or so - heres a pic of my little man (taken yesterday)

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I don't know anything about this condition, but it's just one more thing piled up on sweet Sir Toby. :patback

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Marie, the thyroid gland plays a huge role in metabolism. Hyperthyroid cats have a metabolism that works too fast. Often they have big appetites, eat a lot, yet they still lose weight.

Poor Toby, I hope his medications help! The good news is I have known of several hyperthyroid cats that went on to live normal, happy lives after medication. The gang and I send wishes of health and happiness to Toby!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anything about this condition, but it's just one more thing piled up on sweet Sir Toby. :patback
He doesnt have much luck does he :(. Still, its been caught early so he should be as right as rain with medication before too long.

I certainly hope so as he is in desperate need of that dental cleaning! (we have been calling him 'dragon breath' because it smells so much!)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marie, the thyroid gland plays a huge role in metabolism. Hyperthyroid cats have a metabolism that works too fast. Often they have big appetites, eat a lot, yet they still lose weight.
He has been eating like a pig, but then theres not exactly new with Toby. He has lost some weight but not a horrible amount thankfully. Poor wee man. Glad I got the bloods though - I may not have noticed anything amiss for a good month or so otherwise.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
cats can do fine without their thyriod gland, they can produce the enzyme elsewhere in their body, my emma cat had hyperthyriodism due to a enlarged thyriod, we tried surgical reduction of the gland and that worked for about 2 years(she started burning up again) opted for the radioactive iodine treatment(center that handles this was only thirty miles away) that was over six years ago, happy to say emma is around 13 and still wakes me up every morning,(there is no snoose button on a cat that wants breakfast)pic is miss emma motley, on guard duty,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Allie, I am sorry to hear that Toby's dealing with this! I am sure he will take it in stride, you and he make a great team. He's lucky to have you as a "mom"/ family member. I am sure deep down his faith in you lets him accept new situations without stress...

Fran

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Poor Toby! He gets more then his share of the health problems! I had a cat that had hyperthyroid problems. She would eat anything and still lost weight before she was diagnosed. She also got a pill twice a day. She was about 14 when it was diagnosed or I would have opted for the radioactive iodine. When she went to the bridge it was unrelated to the hyperthyroid.

I hope Toby does well with the medication.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi. Razzle had hypothyroidism. I tried the pills and he threw up. Then I tried the ointment and he still threw up. I did the radioactive iodine treatment and it worked great. It cost about $1200.00 though but it cured him. Sometimes thyroid problems go along with kidney disease so you should have that checked. I read that long term use of thyroid meds can lead to kidney disease. You should talk to your vet about that and also look it up online.

Kathy

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Nicely said, Merry!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I beg to differ with that statement. He found you didnt he!
To me thats the best luck in the world. Who else would of
loved and cared for him the way you do?!
:oops: Thats very kind of you to say so, Merry, but I only do what everyone else does for their furry friends :D

Thanks everyone for their support. Pilling Toby has been quite easy so far - been hiding them in bits of cheese or chicken :lol:. Long may that continue. We are going to discuss long term treatment when he goes for his check-up - but his T4 levels are sky-high at the moment so we need to get that down first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts