Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toby-puss isnt doing so well. He is fine in himself - but the tumour is now huge and invaded his cheek bone and nasal cavity. He has barely been able to eat all week :(

Took him back to the vet last night. He has been given steroids now and some antibiotics - and also some hgh calorie cat food which he doesnt have to eat very much off. He had a good portion of the cat food last night - licked it of my fingers (royal canin recovery diet) but his mouth was bleeding this morning and he didnt want to eat then.

Hopefully the steriods will make him feel better for a while - if not, he is going to the vets for the last time on Friday. I'm not willing to watch him slowly starve to death. He still wants to be a cat-pig, I know he is hungry, he just cant eat anything :(

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Poor little chap, he's had quite the struggle. I really hope the steroids ease the discomfort so he can eat.

Hugs for both of you.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Oh Allie, I'm sorry to hear this. I think you're absolutely right that he shouldn't starve to death. I can't believe the sadness of knowing Friday may be the day.

I hope you can take a little comfort in the fact that his death will be much harder on you than him, and that you're taking one for the team like a good owner does.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When my cats have a hard time eating I give them any of the baby food meats from either Gerber or BeechNut, just the meat not mixed with anything. They dont have to chew just lick it. Sometimes I put some in my finger and they lick it off or just leave on a plate for them to lick. At least it would be something to help him out. I went through something like you are with my 19 year old Persian.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone. About to go home and give Toby his first steroid. Couldnt give him any yesterday because he had been given some metacam and the two dont mix apparently. I hope he has had a restful day snoozing on his sofa in the kitchen.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Taken about a week ago I think - not on the sofa in the kitchen mind, the one in the living room ;)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
We're thinking of you at my house. Purrs and headbutts for the brave boy. Hugs for you, I know you're doing your best for him and you've given him a wonderful life. He's a lucky lucky cat-pig.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just managed to get his first steriod dose down him by mixing it up with a small amount of that high calorie recovery food. He licked it off my fingers - hopefully he will feel better by the morning.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He has already eaten! Almost a whole dinner of his favourite junk food :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts