Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby has had a wee bit of a tough time of late -can't remember what I posted the last time I was here - did I mention the mouth infection? Anyway, after a weeks worth of antibiotics, that seemed to clear up (no more dragon breath, hurrah!).

He then went down with a tummy bug! But thankfully that cleared up without having to go to the vet.

He has since had his dental work (he had one tooth extracted) and has also had a kidney function test, which was normal. But i'm still having a little bit of a fight getting him to eat. The vet gave me some antibiotics after the op to sprinkle on his food and although I got it down him, now I think he might be a little weary about eating in case the 'magic powder' is in there.

He does eat but I can tell he 'tests the water' before going in and he isnt eating as much as he was before.

I'm also feeling guilty because, due to hiding his hyperthyriod pills in bits of food, I feel like after a while, I've 'ruined' a nice tasty treat for him because he soon figures out whats in them. So far, he has had Greenies pill pockets (shipped from the States, at considerable expense!), cheese, raw chicken, raw beef and prawns (cooked). I felt particularly sad yesterday when I knew he had figured out the prawns had the pill in and refused to eat it - its one of his favourite all time treats and he usually gobbles them back.

I'm not at all good at forcing pills down Toby. He is a big strong puss-cat who turns into the demon cat from hades whenever I have tried to forcefeed him pills and flatmate tends to be rather useless at that sort of thing so i'm usually left to it it alone.

Anyway, don't know what the purpose of this post is other than I'm feeling a little glum because I feel as if i'm taking away all his pleasure from his favourite occupation - being a catpig :(

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I feel your pain - too bad they can't hide the taste of pills better - like make them tuna flavored or something. Hope Toby feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Oh that poor puss!

I know what it's like trying to trick them into it but I found a much better solution. Jitzu refuses to be tricked, she'll eat one or two bites of doctored treat, then she walks away unmedicated.

So what I do now is crush the pill into powder, or if it's a capsule just pop it open over a plate, mix it with a little bit of something sticky (cheese whiz, syrup, yogurt, ect) and wipe it onto her front paws.
She hates it, and glares at me. But she can't stand being dirty, so she'll clean it off. She gets the whole dose this way.

In my house I also have to either lock her in a kennel or the bathroom to make sure she doesn't get help from the boys, but you could likely skip that step with Toby.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Allie - I hope you and the Tobester work this out...:patback

Oh Becky, you trickster!! Great tip for the future...

And, a small one to add. Gracie is absolutely bonkers over chicken or turkey or beef broth concentrate - at our favorite grocery store they happen to sell it in little packets like restaurant ketchup, to stir into hot water, gravy etc. I bet the pet food companies use something similar to make their nasty kibble palatable. The tiniest amount of broth smells so strong, she'll lick my finger for twenty minutes in bliss. I bet ANYTHING coated with this stuff will go down in a flash...

:) Fran

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Hard to pill? You might give him a towel mummy-wrap with only his head exposed. Dip the pill in a tiny bit of butter, open his mouth, and place in back of throat, rub his throat until he swallows, or use a "pill shooter" Offer him his fave treat after pilling. All the best!

How to Pill a Stubborn Cat (without scratches!) | eHow.com

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You might try giving Toby some undoctored treats once a day or so, so that he can come to trust that not every treat has a pill in it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Can you get the thyroid med compounded into a transdermal gel? We do that here for cats who can't handle the methimizole pill. The gel is applied to the inner ear and absorbed through the skin. Not sure if thats available in the UK, but you might ask around.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I was just wondering how you and Toby and your Mom and Felix and Willow were doing. It seems like it has been a while since your last update. Sorry to hear the news isn't the best.
Usually I don't give pills mixed with food so that they don't get put off of eating, but I know that isn't always possible. Most of my cats are relatively easy to pill, but I remember how Tucker used to be... OMG!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice and support everyone. Much appreciated!! I certainly like the idea of crushing up a pill and mixing it with yoghurt and smearing it on his paw - but that doesnt work with his hyperthyriod medication because I'm told it wont work if its crushed before he takes it.

I do give undoctored treats alongside the one with the pill in - at the moment he has decided on cooked chicken but I wonder how long that will last. He is eating otherwise, and probably eats a normal amount, but it requires encouragement.

I took him back to the vet for his post-op check-up yesterday and the vet injected him with some painkillers and also some antibiotics as his gums looked a little sore and I'd obviously not been able to get all the oral stuff down him.

We will see. He just looks very down in the dumps at the moment. Hopefully he will pick up soon

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Poor Toby, and poor you! I feel your pain, it was so hard giving Cinderella meds. :(

I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Poor wee little Toby............Hugs for him, and you! You take such good care of him, Allie!

I've used one of the pill pusher things, but for horses, and it does work. It gets the pill further back in a position where they can't push it back out as easy. I do feel your pain though, I have one here too who turns into a wild cat when I have to do anything with him.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm still struggling to get Toby to eat. Saturday he barely ate a thing. He vomited twice over the weekend as well - although I think it was just due to not chewing his raw meat properly the second time.

This morning was good though. He seemed pretty hungry for breakfast and - with only a little bit of encouragement - ate nearly a whole pouch of wet food (admitedly fancy feast but at this point I don't care what it is as long as he eats it!), a generous handful of roast pork (with a 'special surprise' hidden inside one of the chunks ... lol) and a wee handful of kitty treats as well.

I'm just hoping I don't go back to a living room full of kitty puke again - if I do, its the vet.

I am wondering at this point whether its the hyperthyroid pills. Blood work taken at Christmas was all ok and he had a kidney function test a couple of weeks ago which was completely normal, so who knows. I *think* I saw a rather large hairball in his vomit yesterday (the second one) so I guess thats a possibility as well - that he just had a nasty hairball down there that was making him feel yucky.

I'm certainly a little concerned about him at the moment though :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts