Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a week since the teeth cleaning and therefore war is about to recommence.

Toby hates, hates, HATES having his teeth cleaned. Squirms, bites, scratches, runs away. He is a little toe-rag when it comes to cleaning teeth. I've read the articles on introducing him slowly to the regime but as soon as I open his mouth the fun begins.

Any suggestions? Last time I just gave up and brought some dental chews which I dont think did a darn bit of good at all.

He is on a wet/raw food combo diet with dry food once a week or so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No suggestions from me, but I'll be eagerly watching to see what ideas you get! The vet told us that Desdemona has gingivitis and we need to start brushing, and she is similarly uncooperative. She'll happily lick the toothpaste off the brush or my finger, but clamps her mouth shut and squirms away once we try to actually get in there with a brush!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
one thing I ended up doing was putting some toothpaste on the dental chews. There are also oral rinses and gels that you can try... don't need to be physically brushed onto the teeth but will spread around the mouth once you squirt them in.

Of course, I still have a big bottle sitting on the shelf that I stopped using because it was still a struggle :)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I have had very good luck with "PlaqueOff" for Gracie - (as some of you have probably heard me say before, sorry to be so repetitious :?). I have no idea how or why it works, but it is worth a try if it is too much of a stress to try to brush Toby's teeth. Before we bought it I was concerned about her gums in some places. Now her gums are an even pale pink, there's no trace of plaque on her teeth, and her kitty breath is much milder than before we began using it. The little jar we bought almost a year ago, and it still has a lot in it.

Here's a link, but you'd probably need to search in the UK for a good price for you...

http://www.entirelypets.com/plaqueoff.html

:) Fran

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I stir the tiniest amount (the spoon they provide is very very small) thoroughly into her wet food once a day. Only once has she ever eaten around it - when I accidentally left a blip of it unstirred...

Fran

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm intigued petspy - why are you so anti wet food?

Thanks for the plaque-off idea Fran - I'll certainly look into that. :D

·
Banned
439 Posts
I'm not anti wet cat food,
I'm pro human convenience.

I don't want to deal with the
cans and the lingering odors,
the food begging meows, etc.

I invested in an expensive
auto feeder, and the idea of
filling it once a week, and not
having to deal with feeding my
cats further, is very appealing.

however, I do buy raw chicken
for my own consumption, and
got into the habit of setting
aside some for the cats, so
I'm fine with feeding them a
raw meal at least once a week.

I wonder if I mist dry food with
water, dust it with PlaqueOff,
(distributed as evenly as possible)
allow the dry food to dry from
the mist, then the PlaqueOff will
adhere to the kibble, and the
cats can consume it that way.

I'll experiment and let you guys
know in a few weeks if it worked.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to say, some wet food is kinda stinky :lol:. But I'd never feed my cat dry food as his main staple. Wet food is better - there are some serious health risks linked with dry food - I have scientific articles I've printed off from work to prove it (rather than just relying on whats posted on the internet).

Anyway, I suspect you probably don't agree with me, which is fair enough, so I'll leave it there. Please don't dampen the dry food though. It will invite nasty bugs to grow on it and might make your cats ill.

As an alternative, have you thought of giving your cats raw chicken necks? Thats good for cleaning cats teeth. I've had trouble getting Toby to eat them sadly.

·
Banned
439 Posts
melysion said:
don't dampen the dry food though. It will invite nasty bugs to grow on it and might make your cats ill.
I've discussed the other issues you raise on other threads, so I won't repeat myself here, but...

I'm surprised about your quoted concern as many dry foods are designed to be wetted before serving.
It would be easy to quickly dry and seal the powder and mist on to the food by simply keeping it in
my refrigerator for a short while to hasten drying. I don't see how this would introduce "bugs" into
the food, any more than keeping the kibble in it's original bag. I would only treat the pound of food
the cats would be consuming over the next few days, not an entire 20LB bag in one shot.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is always bacteria on the surface of dry food so adding moisture might result in a significant amount of bacterial growth and make your cats ill. Its seriously not recommended.

I'm not aware of any dry food that are designed to be wetted before serving, but if you know any brands that are, I'd be more than interested to know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was told that wetting the foods containing a lot of corn would be bad as the food would swell up. But that I would be OK wetting a high quality food such as Innova or Wellness. I tried this to get her to eat the dry food; she just licked up the "gravy" and ignored the food.

We've now worked out a solution that we're all happy with. 1/4 of a daily serving of wet food in the morning, another 1/4 at night, and 1/2 of a daily serving of dry food (no wetting) during the day. We pick up the bowl of wet food after she's done - or within an hour whichever is first - to avoid bacterial growth and we dispose of any leftover dry food daily.

Now to keep this on-topic :D after a course of antibiotics, teeth brushing is likely to be out of the question. I'll look for the product you mentioned as it could probably be secreted in the wet food. Thanks.

·
Banned
439 Posts
yeah, I noticed that about EVO too.
when wet, it does not swell, you just
get a lot of gravy. I didn't realize that
cat food wasn't designed to serve wet
as is commonly done with dog food.
thank you for pointing this out to me.

does anyone who uses plaqueoff
notice if it will dissolve in water,
or you get particles floating around.
maybe it will work in a water dish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Regarding the PlaqueOff - of course, I went off and Googled it. Has anyone has a veterinarian recommend using it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Petspy, do you feed EVO dry? What's your opinion of the ash content? I know - unlike the thinking in the "old" days - that ash is OK, but if I recall, the EVO has much higher ash content than say Innova or Wellness (9.44% vs. 5.88%). I bought the EVO thinking it was kitten food (cat's still under 1 year) and then realized its difference to regular Innova.

I have used samples of Innova, which she seems to like as well.

Just wondering what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Re PlaqueOff - it seems to be a product that is better known in Europe than here (from Sweden). None of the pet stores I went to had heard of it, although they were very interested, so I had to order it online. It is a type of seaweed - cats who need to monitor their iodine intake due to thyroid issues should not use it, but other cats should be fine. (The bowl of the dosage spoon is tiny, a cat's portion is about this size 0.) It is very popular with dog owners. I did not ask our veterinarian about it, but we will take Gracie for her annual check up soon, and I will ask then.

I also purchased a similar product that was a liquid designed to put in a dog or cat's drinking water, but I did not use it since Gracie was okay with the powder and the liquid formula contained a preservative and imparted a faint odor to her water. I figured I would rather she drink her water plain if she was willing to eat the seaweed in her food...

Fran

1 - 20 of 22 Posts