Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my beloved BearBoy, a blue Persian, went to the Rainbow bridge. He was 15 years, 7 months and 20 days old. Bear came to me when he was 6 - 7 weeks old, just a little ball of fur and it was love at first sight. BearBoy had a growth in his throat and 2 years ago they told me he would not make it. I feed him twice a day a special food with syringes and he made it another 2 years. He was the most handsome fella you ever saw. He loved to be held and loved.
The last 7 days he went downhill so fast. I took him to the vet today and he said he had a stroke and only hours left. I said ok, it is time for him to go on. Did I wait to long? Did I make him suffer? I hurt so deep in my heart. Will it stop hurting?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your BearBoy. It hurts now, and it will probably always hurt, but every day it gets a little easier. Don't forget that you did the right thing and that he is grateful for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm so sorry about BearBoy. I know how much it hurts, I just lost my 9 year old cat Lynxx last month. I miss him so much, I cry all the time. But I also know I gave him the best life I could. He lived like a king while he was alive, as I'm sure BearBoy did.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your BearBoy. Only time can heal your pain, and hopefully someday soon, your memories of him will make you smile. :patback

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss.

Try to take comfort in knowing that by making such a horribly difficult decision and seeing it through, and your baby was eased from this life with compassion and love. You truly wanted what was best for him and he knew how much you cared for him.

I had to make this decision for my Tabitha (after a long illness) just last night, and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. The heart shatters, and there seems to be no relief. Their passing leaves a huge void in our hearts, a feeling of emptiness that feels like it will consume us. It is normal to feel this way after such a tragic loss. Take the time you need to mourn him, and know that with time it will hurt less and you will be able to find comfort in the wonderful memories you shared together.

You had the courage to make this choice on his behalf, to put his peace before your own, and to let him go despite the fact that more than anything you just wanted to keep him and to love him every day.

Perhaps you will find it comforting, as I did, to recognize that you did not choose for him to get sick, and you did not choose to end his life. Somehow, this unfortunate ailment struck, but you worked hard to keep it at bay and gave him many good years, years that he may not have had otherwise. He knew how much you loved him, even enough to ease his passing and to make the choice to spare him what suffering was in your power.

Try not to feel guilty and try not to doubt yourself. You did the very best you could for him, and he knew that. I wish that you had not had to experience this sad end to your friendship. I hope that you can grieve for him and then find comfort in the happy memories that you shared together. You did what needed to be done, and that was your final act of love for him. He lives on in your heart.

I wish you comfort and peace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts