Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few different articles about training a cat to use that toilet as a litter box. I wanted to know if this was at all possible? My cat is already about two years old, so its probably to late anyway, but I curious for the future.

…I was watching the movie (hahaha) “meet the parents” where the cat is ‘potty trained,’ I know its just a movie but it seemed like it could probably be done.

Has anybody heard of this, or done this? Is it possible to retrain a cat to do this? It would be great if so, would be able to remove the litter box, making a cleaner and less messy bathroom!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not sure you can train them to do that. I had a cat once that went to the toilet instead of using it's litterbox. I guess he'd seen us using the toilet and he did the same thing. He was young though, so it might be eaiser for younger cats to mimic what we do. All I had to do was flush after him, because he was very clear on that (came meowing at me and I had to check what he wanted).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
There are all kinds of books and products you can buy to help your cat learn to use the toilet, I don't know if it works though!

Just go to amazon.com and search for "toilet train your cat".

·
Registered
865 Posts

It's quite hard to do - I looked it up on Google and read up on it (after the first cat learned to do it himself! Rest in peace Patches...) It's a very long process and you have to be patient. Moving the litter slowly toward the toilet, then on it, then IN it (I used a turket roaster tin foil thingy) and then filing that with water and THEN removing it. Takes months.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It can be done, yes...even with older cats. But then you can't really monitor your cat's "output" the way you can if it's in a litterbox, which means you could overlook a UTI or a blockage pretty easily. Also, if your cat every has to stay somewhere when you're gone, they might freak out when they don't have a toilet, and not want to use a litterbox.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That was my issue... I was constantly scared that Moby would hold it in or something. Patches (top photo) did it himself as I said, so I didn't care. I gave up with Moby when I got a litter box high enough to prevent litter getting out (well - most of it). It's their natural way, so I don't mind scooping.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Those pictures are so cute :lol: years ago I tried training my now oldest cat and my previous roomates cat. I had no success. It was a very long process. In the end it just didn't work. I gave up and went back to the litter box.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I know I gonna be repeating myself (I said it many times on this forum) but please do not toilet train your cat!

It's bad for them! First of all, it's not natural for them. Secondly, you can't control the poo (how can you take it to the vet to have it checked?). Also, in case you need to leave your cat at vet - the cat won't be able to use the toilet. She will have to use the litter box again which will make her very stressed. The whole thing is very stressful for them. I hope someone will support me on this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts