Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone of you toilet trained your cat? what do you think about it and what would be the right age to start the training?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toilet Trained

Hi,

Yes, our kitties are toilet-trained to use the toilet. No more messy sand box mess and dirty paws to track around the house. We first started them at around 5 months old and used the clear plastic tray with cut-out rings. You put a little sand litter on the center ring to have them get accustomed to hopping onto it and using that instead of the litter box. This is the real messy part because you will not have the "clumps" easy enough to pick up. We found ourselves cleaning and rinsing that plasitic tray often. Then after a few weeks, cut the first ring hole. It took them time to get accustomed to this hole, for us it took a few months for them to get comfortable than just looking curiously at it. Then progressively cut one ring every few weeks until you're at the last one.

The one advice I can give is be persistant, but understanding. We almost gave up when they used the floor instead of the toilet a few times. But now they're fully accustomed to using the toilet, we don't worry about it. Our kitties hop onto the toilet, sniff inside the bowl, and then do their business. We can "brag" about not spending money on litter :D

We started our kitties when they were young. They are now over 2-years old and haven't seen a sand box since. But I don't know if this toilet training will work after the kitty is a fully-grown adult and set in his ways, it may just be too difficult or impossible. Also, we have designated that toilet as "theirs". The kitties use their toilet only and seem not to care about the other ones around the house.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
You should be proud! I'd be bragging to everyone if my kitties were potty trained!

I'm going to move this to Behaviour for you. I'm sure it will make us all a bit envious! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toilet Trained Cats

Thanks Jeanie for moving this thread over to its appropriate section.

Another big reason why we toilet-trained our cats was because Kremy (the red & white calico) had an affection of playing in the litterbox. Dirty habit nonetheless. But I will not hesitate to say that toilet training is NOT FOR ALL CATS. The cat will have to first get "curious" about the toilet. If this first step isn't learned, the kitty will never take upon himself to use it. We're glad that our kitties did accept to do this.

Here's Kremy, he's not afraid to show us his dirty business. I could already hear the "swirly" jokes coming from some of you folks and NO HE IS NOT DRUNK!

business as usual...

and wrestling with my leg...

If some of you folks have been wondering, yes, Krispy (gray/white female) and Kremy (red/white male) were named after the famous donut franchise. Pretty unique name, huh? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh drat, red "X"s :?

It should come out, saw them on the preview. Let me know if you all can see them or not. Hopefully they'll come out soon and it's just some temporary delay from my imagestation.
:|

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was actually thinking about toilet training my cats - when I bring the second one in. That link is very helpful when it talks about how to keep the stress level down to a minimum so they don't feel too pressured - and how to take care of them while on vacation or when your out of town - and them reverting back to litter boxes - and then using the potty again.

It's a lot of stuff to consider - the work and the time. I think it's a good idea - it might be a bit weird - but I think it would be kinda nice to not have to buy litter... not only that... but make sure they don't accidentally injest the litter while cleaning themselves (which causes all kinds of problems). I'd rather them lick toilet water off of their feet than some litters... *shiver* On a side note my cat Tigger has litter - and I didn't find out until recently that he has been puking out mucus and blood... stopped that litter... stopped the problem.

Anyways - I think it's a wonderful idea - I'm not sure if I want to go out with the cut out rings... or if I want to go with the metal bowl in that guy's meathod. I'll be getting little baby kitties - so it shouldn't be too stressful for them to learn something new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going on vacation presents another thing to consider. You'll need someone to come in and flush the toilet in addition to the food and water. I've been pondering the thought of hooking up one of those automatic flush toilets with a motion sensor and valve.

We were hesitant to start them when they were young kittens because of the chance if they fell in the toilet bowl, they may not get out. So when they were at the transition between mature kittens to young adults (5 months old), that's when we started them.

The biggest advantage is that your kitty's feet will be clean. You'll find yourself playing and tickling their feet. :lol:

Here's a picture link...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/p5b3fa7ee7f9b9e26fe8d57b1d40f9ae7/f7e98fe2.jpg.orig.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts