Cat Forum banner

Toilet training?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gosha 
#1 ·
Hubby and I have noticed that two of our furkids, Arwen and Frodo, are both incredibly interested in the toilet. If a toilet flushes, they HAVE to run into the bathroom to watch the water go down the bowl, and see it fill up. They both have tried sitting on the seat, and dip various appendages into the bowl...back leg, tail, etc.

This brings me to the question...has anyone trained a kitty to use the toilet, and how did you do it? I know some cats out there do use toilets, and it would cut down somewhat on litter costs if these two learned to do it. Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
I used to think it was a cool idea until I did some reading on it. From what I could find, a lot of cats don't like using the toilet, or have a bad experience with it and stop using it, or when owners move/cats stay with someone else the cats start using other locations... from what I read often cats will start peeing/pooping it other locations, in particular the bathtub seems to be a location they migrate to using instead. I mean, I'm sure there's lots of cats that do use the toilet correctly, but it isn't natural for them and I think way more potential hassles come with it than potential gains.

There are various ways to toilet trains cats, there's one method with plastic rings you place around the toilet and as the cat gets used to it you break more and more of the rings off until the cat is only on the toilet. I think the best method I read is slowly raising the litter box up, starting from the ground beside the toilet, and then moving it on top of the litter box, then replacing the littler box with a bowl that fits in the toilet and filling it with litter, then slowly removing the litter, then adding a little water, and then removing the bowl entirely. Of course for each step you need to wait for the cat to become comfortable before moving to the next.

#3 ·
Okay. I just went through this fiasco. We tried for about 6 weeks and then I finally had enough. My oldest cat would not use the toilet and I was afraid she would wind up with a UTI from holding it. (the youngest now chooses to either use the toilet or the litterbox. She is six months old.)

If you really, really, really (did I say really) want to try this, go to you tube and type in toilet training your cat. There are multiple videos.

This video was the most informative Untitled Document

Also, we did not purchase the 40-$75 dollar rings. We went to the dollar store and got a bowl that fit inside our toilet for a dollar. You can also use a tin roasting pan from the grocery store. My cat was 10 + lbs and it held her weight. Just make sure you get flushable kitty litter.

Good luck! I don't want to repeat the experience.

#4 ·
Toilet training is definately NOT a must for us. I kind of figure that having a litter box is part and parcel of having a cat own me. But with these two being so darned curious about the toilet, it made me wonder if they would do it. It sounds like it is far more troublesome than it is really worth though! I mean, a litterbox doesn't take a lot of maintenance, and it's a natural instinct for them to use it, so I think I will stick with that. Thanks!

#6 ·
So, after comlpletely abandoning the thought of toilet-training, guess what my husband walked in on a few minutes ago? Yep. Arwen was on the toilet...PEEING. I have no clue how this happened, but yay Arwen!
Do other kitties spontaneously just start peeing on the toilet?

#7 ·
Yep, PuddyWoW more or less trained himself. He hates the feel of litter & would pee in the sink which grossed me out. Then I started transferring him to the potty whenever I caught him & now I rarely see him use a litterbox unless we are traveling. Even then it is a complicated manuver with all 4 feet up on the lip of the box.
Sounds like Arwen may be doing the same as Puddy & doesn't want to get his paws dirty.
Couple of downside issues - always leave the seat down & the lid up. Trying to balance on the rim of the bowl is more difficult & chasing a drippy wet kitty after they fell into the potty is not the most pleasant kitty chase game when you need to go & scrub everywhere the kitty has gone. 2. If you forget or a guest puts the lid down the kitty has nowhere to go but in the sink or tub (if you are lucky) 3. Always check the dryness of the seat BEFORE you sit down. Dribbles happen.

#11 · (Edited)
I had a cat who taught himself to go on a toilet. He was always using litter box and one day he just started going on the toilet, I was amused, but he was very smart cat overall. My current cat is not that bright unfortunately. He is 4 years old and I decided we can try toilet training. We started with the litter box on the toilet, which worked fine. He figured out how to jump on it instantly, however I had to secure it with the duck tape so it wouldn't move, needles to say this bathroom became "his" bathroom. Next stage was a pan with the litter inside of the toilet, which worked fine as well. He transitioned very smoothly. Even when I removed the litter he was doing just fine.
BUT once I cut a hole in the pan he refused to go on it without litter. If liiter is on the pan, he will do his thing, if litter is not there he goes on the floor. Which makes no sense to me because the floor is just tile and has no litter as well.
So we stuck at this stage, once litter removed, he pees and poos on the floor, add litter he goes on the toilet with the pan.
I don't know how to help him to figure out what to do, or maybe he just wants litter and rebel against not having it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.