Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Malcolm In Nov. 2003, he was about 3 at the time.

On his paperwork that came with him from the SPCA it says:

Kennel tech notes that he's dominant, hates other cats, seems like a fighter.

SO I am not sure if he actually does not like other cats or if he just didn't like being at the shelter.

We would like to get a second kitty....but I am worried Malcolm will get pissy!!

I would introduce them slowly and properly if it did happen.

What is your opinion?? Should we get a second kitty or should he stay solo?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think only Malcolm can answer this question, and he can only answer it if you give him the opportunity to.

I think you have very valid concerns, but if you really want to offer your home to another kitty, I personally would recommend giving it a try. Perhaps adopt from a shelter with the agreement that it may not work out and you may have to return the kitten/cat or find a backup home if need be.

I waited years to introduce my cat to a new cat because of his extremely aggressive nature (he lived as an only cat since kittenhood for 9 years in our home).

I had to tread carefully, and slowly slowly introduce them, desensitizing them to each others scent long before they caught site of each other, etc, by my cat is now so so much more affectionate with us, and much happier and gentler than ever now that we have a 2nd cat. They clearly treasure each others company.
I realize we were lucky to have the outcome we have when introducing a 2nd cat, and of course this doesn't always happen and some intoductions are disastrous, but if my aggressive, biting cat can make a turnaround like he has, I figure at least some "solo" cats can have the same experience.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts