Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Voldie is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow. I'm not (very ) worried, since from what I've been able to research/was told, it's not a very complicated surgery and chances are he'll be just fine afterwards.

Anyway, he is around 7 months old and last time I managed to weight him (a month or so ago?), he was about 4kg (almost 9lbs). He is not visibly fat, only very 'thick' although not very tall/long. His head and paws are noticeably larger than Luna's.

My question is related to the 'he'll get fat after neutering' that I keep hearing. How do I prevent that? He's remarkably lazy (especially after Luna's arrival) and although he does wrestle with her at times, he prefers to sleep and laze around.

They both eat wet food (now it's half a portion in the morning and another at night) plus raw (whole prey, normally mice/rats). He used to play with the mice (frozen/thawed, of course) and paw them around, but now all he does is eat them as fast as possible to avoid Luna from getting to them.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Weight control is really pretty simple. If he starts to get pudgy, feed him less. Neutering has nothing to do with it. If he's taking in more calories than he's burning, he's going to gain weight. Cut the calories, cut the weight.

Laurie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weight control is really pretty simple. If he starts to get pudgy, feed him less. Neutering has nothing to do with it. If he's taking in more calories than he's burning, he's going to gain weight. Cut the calories, cut the weight.

Laurie
Well, I really don't see how he can be eating too much, since he gets about 1.5 oz of wet food and mice or so a day?

How low can you go with the quantity of food?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If a growing kitten is maintaining 9 lbs of weight on 1.5 oz of food daily, he needs to be checked out thoroughly by your vet, including comprehensive bloodwork. Something isn't right there.

Laurie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts