Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Kiwi passed away the day after Christmas, we took her to the vet when she peed on the bed ( never done that before) and it was a very very dark yellow and it stained the sheets. She was jaundice and when they did an ultrasound her liver was abnormal with some fluid around it. They never got to do a biopsy because she was too weak. They were at the point of tube feeding her before she died.

Very bitter towards the animal hospital because of the day she died. She died at 2 in the afternoon and we didn't find out until almost 3. On her charts too, someone wrote that at 10 am she had a faint heart beat and no one called then either. How hard would it have been to have the receptionist call us to let us know? She died alone and from the way they explained it she probably died from choking on her own vomit. I honestly was not expecting it either, we had visited her the night before and she looked like she was doing so much better. It will always bother me that she died the way she did and with none of us there to say our goodbyes or make her passing easier. :(

Thats besides the point though, what do you guys think may have been wrong with her?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Feeling bitter is a normal reaction in your situation, but please don't blame them for what happened. Cats who are sick to the point of being visibly yellow often do not do well even with extreme treatment.

I would not think she died as a result of choking on her own vomit. Generally speaking, aspiration would be more likely to cause aspiration pneumonia (from the vomit going into the lungs) but is more of a long term problem to be treated after the fact.

Cats who have such extreme liver problems (which I assume was your kitty's problem) need IV fluids, antibiotics and feeding tubes for several days and additional weeks of tube feeding if they even stand a chance at recovery. It is a very long hard road to go down and one that I can honestly say I would not want to put my cats through.

Your vet may not have handled the situation well, but you have to be understanding that there are often so many other things going on that it often takes some time to get things in order before they can contact you. What you can do is ask questions. Lots of questions. It is not going to change anything but may give you a better idea of exactly what happened. What treatments were they doing to her? Was anything changed when they noted her faint heartbeat? What sort of nursing care was she given?

Most day practices are set up to do appointments. They will often have a few animals in the hospital recovering from surgery and a few that may be there that are sick, but for the most part they see appointments and do treatments on hospitalized patients in between. The three day practices I've worked at all worked this way. If any pets were hospitalized we would check on them every hour and make notes of things like if they are eating, any urine, bowel movements, vomiting, etc. Give medications when they are scheduled and check vitals, take blood samples, etc.

The clinic I work for now has staff specifically dedicated to nursing care on hospitalized patients. But this is not the norm.

It sounds as if your kitty was very sick when she was brought in. Sadly, cats are a little too good at hiding illness until it is too late. It sounds as if she was getting proper treatment but was too far gone to save. I am sorry for how she died, but do not let yourself feel too guilty. You tried to save her.

·
Banned
952 Posts
...Very bitter towards the animal hospital because of the day she died. She died at 2 in the afternoon and we didn't find out until almost 3. On her charts too, someone wrote that at 10 am she had a faint heart beat and no one called then either. How hard would it have been to have the receptionist call us to let us know? She died alone and from the way they explained it she probably died from choking on her own vomit. I honestly was not expecting it either, we had visited her the night before and she looked like she was doing so much better. It will always bother me that she died the way she did and with none of us there to say our goodbyes or make her passing easier. :(

Thats besides the point though, what do you guys think may have been wrong with her?
I am so very, very sorry, Araselocyn. What an incredibly sad and painful way for you to find out about Kiwi's passing. It's a terrible thing when a clinic can't be bothered to keep you informed of your cat's condition.

I don't know anything about these specific symptoms, but I totally believe that Kiwi knew she was loved, and she knows that everything you did, you did to help her.

Try not to picture her as you may think she spent her last few minutes... cats in such a state are often unaware of their surroundings and it's unlikely she felt her passing. Think of her sunning herself on her favorite perch. Picture her purring as you scritch her and love on her. As you picture her this way, tell her again that you love her, let yourself see her love for you in her eyes, and then let yourself tell her the goodbye you weren't able to tell her earlier. I promise you she'll hear you.

And then let all the happy memories of your time together keep you company. Over time, the sorrow will lesson and the love and happiness you shared will be stronger.

Many, including I, have found some healing in creating a memorial in the "Over the Rainbow Bridge" forum...

God bless you sweetie. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

AC

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
First, I am very sorry to hear your Kiwi passed away.
Next, I had a cat who was jaundiced and was the reason I joined CatForum.
I was able to save Malibu ... BUT ... my Mallie was definitely not as bad as your Kiwi sounded and even then, my vet was *very, VERY* reluctant to let me bring my kitty home to treat for Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver, jaundice, a major and often fatal illness) which consisted mainly of hydration and force-feeding to halt and reverse the effects of the HL. She fully expected my cat to die, that is how serious this disease is, and my Mallie wasn't as ill as you described your kitty as being.

I wouldn't blame yourself. Cats are experts at hiding illness as a survival instinct and until you saw some sign ... you'd never know you needed to be alarmed for her health. I must believe that her peeing on your bed, in an obvious spot that couldn't be overlooked, was her way of telling you she was ready to go to the Bridge. They can only communicate with us in gestures, and I believe that is what she was telling you.

I am sorry she passed away at the hospital, but I also agree that as her body shut down, she was unaware of her physical location and I'm sure her brain's last communications were flashes of her wonderful life with you. She looked to be a beautiful silvery longhair, and very happy in that picture. Maybe think of her 'sign' (bed pee) that caused you to bring her to the vet as one last gesture to spare you the heartache of seeing her pass. Like Auntie ... I am *certain* she knew she was loved by you. Love like that is something that stays with us, always.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feeling bitter is a normal reaction in your situation, but please don't blame them for what happened. Cats who are sick to the point of being visibly yellow often do not do well even with extreme treatment.

I would not think she died as a result of choking on her own vomit. Generally speaking, aspiration would be more likely to cause aspiration pneumonia (from the vomit going into the lungs) but is more of a long term problem to be treated after the fact.

Cats who have such extreme liver problems (which I assume was your kitty's problem) need IV fluids, antibiotics and feeding tubes for several days and additional weeks of tube feeding if they even stand a chance at recovery. It is a very long hard road to go down and one that I can honestly say I would not want to put my cats through.

Your vet may not have handled the situation well, but you have to be understanding that there are often so many other things going on that it often takes some time to get things in order before they can contact you. What you can do is ask questions. Lots of questions. It is not going to change anything but may give you a better idea of exactly what happened. What treatments were they doing to her? Was anything changed when they noted her faint heartbeat? What sort of nursing care was she given?

Most day practices are set up to do appointments. They will often have a few animals in the hospital recovering from surgery and a few that may be there that are sick, but for the most part they see appointments and do treatments on hospitalized patients in between. The three day practices I've worked at all worked this way. If any pets were hospitalized we would check on them every hour and make notes of things like if they are eating, any urine, bowel movements, vomiting, etc. Give medications when they are scheduled and check vitals, take blood samples, etc.

The clinic I work for now has staff specifically dedicated to nursing care on hospitalized patients. But this is not the norm.

It sounds as if your kitty was very sick when she was brought in. Sadly, cats are a little too good at hiding illness until it is too late. It sounds as if she was getting proper treatment but was too far gone to save. I am sorry for how she died, but do not let yourself feel too guilty. You tried to save her.
I think you're right aspiration was the word they used and they did try to revive her, it just bothers me that I've been there for all my other animals that have passed and I wasn't able to be there for her.

She was there for 3 days, they had her on IV fluids and were tube feeding her, we were trying to keep her well until we were able to take her to our normal vet that Monday.

They did try to give her medicines believing that it was some sort of parasite in the blood but it had no effect so they were trying to get her strong enough that they could do a biopsy to eliminate other possibilities but we never got to that point.

We came to see her shortly after her first tube feeding and she kept the food down and looked like she was feeling better, thats why the call came as a complete shock to us.

I don't blame them but I feel like a receptionist or someone could have contacted us since we live like 2 minutes from the hospital.

I just miss her :(, she was my first ever foster kitten and she came to me with two other siblings when she was 2 weeks old and had ringworm and a staff infections.

I seem to be losing my babies at a young age and it bothers me. This is the second baby I've lost both at the age of 4.

And thank you AC that actually made me tear up, I did make a post about her in the Rainbow bridge forum. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts