Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my cat was suffering from high liver enzyme so she is on Amoxicillin tab 100mg 2 pills per day, and Denamarin 90mg 1 pill per day; both for about 2 months. The meds are showing really good result as the enzymn level has gone down to almost normal. I am just curious if these 2 kinds of medicines will do damage to her liver because many people would say too much medicines will do damage to your liver or have side effects. What do you guys think??

P.S. My next appointment for the vet revisit will be 2 weeks from today. The cat seems be more hyper and normal after she started taking these.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How old is your cat? What was her diagnosis? The denamarin is basically an herbal remedy. I have no idea why the vet still has her on Amoxicillin or what they are treating with it. Is she on a special diet? Need more info. TY B

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My Old English Sheepdog has been on Denamarin for 2 1/2 years for high liver enzymes. It done a great job for her, keeping her numbers almost normal.
It is most effective if you give it 2 hours before or after meals.

The only downside is the cost - 200/mo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is your cat? What was her diagnosis? The denamarin is basically an herbal remedy. I have no idea why the vet still has her on Amoxicillin or what they are treating with it. Is she on a special diet? Need more info. TY B
The cat is still a bit high on liver enzyme (from 800 something to 100 something now), that's why the vet is still have her on the treatment. She is not on a diet.

My Old English Sheepdog has been on Denamarin for 2 1/2 years for high liver enzymes. It done a great job for her, keeping her numbers almost normal.
It is most effective if you give it 2 hours before or after meals.

The only downside is the cost - 200/mo.
That is a very good info... But does your dogs enzyme level increase without Denamarin?

I would suggest you to start going to some animal organization vets.. It will be a lot cheaper. I think I paid about $50 for 30 pills.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, my cat was suffering from high liver enzyme so she is on Amoxicillin tab 100mg 2 pills per day < snip >
I'd guess that your vet is taking "high liver enzymes" as indicative of an infection. Any other symptoms to suggest a bacterial infection?

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic, and on its own can actually cause slightly elevated levels of liver enzymes (specifically, AST/SGOT and ALT/SGPT).

My best guess is that high (initial) levels of liver enzymes are being taken as indicative of a bacterial infection. That infection is being treated by amoxicillin, which can cause slightly elevated liver enzyme levels. Denamarin is added to the treatment course to counteract that effect. The idea is to treat the infection with amoxicillin while preventing liver damage (due to long-term use of amoxicillin) with denamarin.

Might want to clarify her diagnosis with your vet ;-)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd guess that your vet is taking "high liver enzymes" as indicative of an infection. Any other symptoms to suggest a bacterial infection?

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic, and on its own can actually cause slightly elevated levels of liver enzymes (specifically, AST/SGOT and ALT/SGPT).

My best guess is that high (initial) levels of liver enzymes are being taken as indicative of a bacterial infection. That infection is being treated by amoxicillin, which can cause slightly elevated liver enzyme levels. Denamarin is added to the treatment course to counteract that effect. The idea is to treat the infection with amoxicillin while preventing liver damage (due to long-term use of amoxicillin) with denamarin.

Might want to clarify her diagnosis with your vet ;-)
Her liver enzyme level was already extremely high when I took her to the vet, I guess this treatment was the best and cheapest way to rule out the other symptoms. Not sure if it's infection. Her liver was a bit swollen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Her liver enzyme level was already extremely high when I took her to the vet, I guess this treatment was the best and cheapest way to rule out the other symptoms. Not sure if it's infection. Her liver was a bit swollen.
Poor kitty :-(

OK, I think we're getting our wires crossed somewhere... Amoxicillin can cause slightly elevated levels, not extremely high, I don't want you to think I'm blaming the amox for her initial symptoms! I just meant to indicate that the amoxicillin can have side effects that the denamarin is preventing.

So to answer your original question of "I am just curious if these 2 kinds of medicines will do damage to her liver":

Nope, they should not damage her liver if provided together. Amoxicillin given over a relatively long term can cause some liver damage on its own; the denamarin should protect her liver from that potential damage. Does that make sense? :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poor kitty :-(

OK, I think we're getting our wires crossed somewhere... Amoxicillin can cause slightly elevated levels, not extremely high, I don't want you to think I'm blaming the amox for her initial symptoms! I just meant to indicate that the amoxicillin can have side effects that the denamarin is preventing.

So to answer your original question of "I am just curious if these 2 kinds of medicines will do damage to her liver":

Nope, they should not damage her liver if provided together. Amoxicillin given over a relatively long term can cause some liver damage on its own; the denamarin should protect her liver from that potential damage. Does that make sense? :wink:
It's good that now I know what both drugs does :) makes me not worry as much as before. I'll keep u guys updated with her results :)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Sounds like pretty standard treatment for suspected hepatits, or a liver infection. Danamarin is a liver protectant. Amoxicillin is a gold standard treatment for hepatic infection. Sounds like pretty standard care to me. If her blood values are improving, then you have nothing to be concerned about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts