Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cats have loved my front porch ever since I moved here five years ago. Even before I became a certified crazy cat lady and started putting food out regularly, cats were constantly fighting over it.* I think they like it partly because I have a lot of potted plants -- more than twenty.

With fighting, of course, comes territorial marking. It's annoying, but we hose the walls down regularly, and it's usually only strong enough to be bothersome when it's fresh anyway, so it hasn't been a huge problem.

About a week ago, however, many of the plants suddenly began to turn yellow and drop their leaves. I had been lax about watering them recently, and we had a cold snap, but the sudden change seemed all out of proportion. You can guess where this is going, but I'm dense, so it wasn't until today when I saw one of the neighborhood cats rudely squatting on top of a philodendron that I realized what was going on. Cats are using my plants as toilets! :roll:

So: Can anyone recommend a product that can be applied to outdoor plants that will keep cats from getting into them? I don't want to drive them off the porch completely. I don't even care if they keep peeing around the porch itself, as long as they don't do it in the plants. I bought something called Boundary that smells like cilantro and is supposed to keep them away, but it has to be resprayed every 24 hours, and we tried it indoors with our cats with disappointing results. Thanks for any help.

------------
* When I say fighting, I mean literally. We've found a number of blood stains.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have read about someone who was quite successful in deterring raccoons from coming onto her property by, er, collecting her husband's urine and sprinkling it around the perimeter of their yard. I suppose it makes sense - someone else has already marked that territory, so to speak. Not sure if would work with cats, but I don't see why not.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :yikes

You couldn't have PM'd that suggestion? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just for you, Marie! What can I say, I'm just a helpful soul and thought this was something that the whole catforum could potentially benefit from.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I had a large potted plant that I'd had for many years that the kitties decided they liked the feel of the dirt on their paws... I cut a circle of chicken wire to fit inside the pot, with a hole cut out for the plant, and placed taht in there.
It worked well to deter them.
Large stones can be used, but they will compress the soil and are not good for the plant's root system.
Heidi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts