Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat I took in as a stray (about a year or so ago) that is perpetually too thin. We avoided getting her spayed since she was so underweight, but unfortunately, as cats in heat do, she escaped and got 'knocked up'.

She's had her kittens now (nice, healthy and orange!) and they're ready to be weaned so we're going to try spaying her ASAP. However, it's been impossible to put any weight on her.

We've been feeding her dry kitten food regularly along with a daily spoonful of Kitty-Vite. It's made no noticeable difference in her weight. She's pretty active and does not believe in being locked up in a house for too long. It doesn't seem like a lack of appetite, because she eats at least twice a day, plus is fed anytime she gets near the foodbowl.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thin, underweight cat

I'm in similar shoes here except the feral is "completly feral" (I mean we feed her but she's at the colony with her kittens and others) and doesn't seem to weigh enough to be spayed, most likely she'll be pregnant again soon.
We feed them soft cat food + dry kitten and adult cat food and occasionally meat scraps. And water to drink of course.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
She's had her kittens now (nice, healthy and orange!)
Orange cats are the BEST :D :D :D Have you had her checked for worms? That can keep a cat from gaining weight. Other than that, I'm not sure....but my cats have always gained weight after they were fixed. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update, we got her spayed. She weighed 6.1 pounds--still thin--but I'm working on adding wet kitten food to her dry food.

The kittens are reluctant about losing their milk supply and Mango (the momma cat) doesn't seem to care that they've got sharp teeth while nursing on her. So most of the day we're playing "pluck the kittens off" whenever they manage to find her and start nursing.

And yep, orange cats are great. Mango is a bright orange and white domestic short hair. The kittens are a coat/color assortment: one short-haired orange/white, one medium-haired buff, and one long-haired solid orange--all boys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts