Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, how young is too young for bones?

Mui Mui is 3 months, and she does not hestiate to attack food (cat or human's). This is the second day she has been given a drumette. Today she started chewing the bones. I heard some cracking noise. I wonder if it is from cracking of her baby teeth or from the cracking of the bones.

I am happy that she is trying to eat bone, but I am also afraid that the failure will discourage from eating any bones in the future. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The four week old kittens that I rescued eat chicken ribs with no problem. You just need to make sure that you are feeding an appropriate sized bone.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hi, Koobe!

No age is too young, however, as FF said - you need to offer bone types/sizes commensurate with the kitten's expertise and strength. I would strongly suggest not offering bones that are too big, because the kitten WILL try to eat it; cats remember failure and she will likely be less inclined to try when you offer her bone you actually want her to eat.

Regards!

AC

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmm... so my worry is valid. That is why I love this forum, I can ask anything if I have ANY concerns.

I was just thinking of giving her a drumtte to let her tear the meat off (I saw videos on youtube of 3 mos old kitten doing that). I was really surprised this afternoon when she tried to chew on the bone.

Well, guess what? I bought quails yesterday! I will try to give her those next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts