Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, we took Shug to the vet. The vet told us that she has an upper respiratory infection, which is causing all her sneezing problems.. and she has an allergy to wet food, which is why she reacted so fast to it, so she's stuck on a full-kibble diet. :(

He told me to put her on Iams kitten food until she's a year old, so I'm putting her on that soon. He also give me a week supply of medication, to help with her diarrhea and sneezies.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is their not other foods you could try her on? Raw, cooked (boiled) chicken? Or a higher quality of wet food, as Fancy Feast isn't good?

Out of interest, how did you vet diagnose an allergy to wet food?

I ask as one of my girls has a reaction to wet food... and I have a food allergy myself which was rather tricky (should we say) to diagnose- I know my doctor wouldn't just say out right that it was an allergy to a certain food type.

I hope Shug feels better, poor little thing.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I can't imagine she would be allergic to all wet food but not kibble. Is that really what the vet said? That makes no sense. She would have to be allergic to something in that specific wet food. There's no reason she should have to be stuck on an all-kibble diet.

I'm also curious as to how the vet can assume an allergy while she has a URI. How does she know the symptoms aren't purely the result of the URI or something chronic that caused the URI like feline herpes?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Allergy to wet food?! Er, that is the first time I've heard of that. Possibly to perhaps a specific protein like chicken, but all wet food? Hmm....I'm not so sure.

If you're going to switch to kibble, might as well make it a grain-free, highest quality you can afford brand. Do some research in the health sub-forum first for your information. Brands I can suggest off the top of my head are Orijen/Acana, Nature's Variety Instinct, Fromm, Now/Go.

Oh and if you're okay about it, raw is also a good option.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure, he told me that it must be a pretty bad reaction to that food for it to cause her diarrhea within 20 minutes after eating it, so he told me to take her off of wet food and keep her on dry, because she doesn't have tummy trouble with dry.

Fancy Feast is the highest quality food Walmart sold, from what I could find.
Like I said, we don't have a Petco or a PetSmart in my area -- I wish we did..

I hope she feels better too. She's playing today, so she seems normal, besides her diarrhea. Hopefully that medicine helps her soon, because I took her off of the wet food like he told me to. Her poor little tummy was making such loud sounds after eating it, and she was constantly in her litter-box with diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I thought wet food was suppose to be better for them anyway. :/

Have you try giving her pedialight( I think that how you spell it) with her wet food with rice? Vinnie had diarrhea for a while and that's what he ate. I forgot what it was mixed in, but it was similar to that.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's probably one of the less desirable ingredients in the Fancy Feast that caused the diarrhea, not simply the fact that it was wet food. Or it could even simply be that her system didn't adjust to the new food yet. Did the vet even ask how long she'd been on it, or did they just assume a wet food allergy right off the bat? Some cats have soft stool when eating a new type of food at first.

It's a shame so many vets are so quick to advise putting a cat on dry, instead of turning to higher-quality options. That's like a doctor saying, "Oh, donuts give you the runs? Well eat potato chips instead then!"

It's outdated thinking/education that causes so many vets to push kibble for cats (especially certain brands, like Iams or Science Diet, since those companies pay lots of money to sponsor vet education).

Are there any little local pet shops in your area? One of them might have some better food options. Iams isn't the worst, but it still contains a lot of corn/carbs and those can potentially cause health problems down the road.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sounds like he's just guessing. He also didn't say she's allergic to ALL wet food if he said she 'had a reaction to that food'.

You should order online. I do- infact I order Origen which is imported from Canada to the UK to feed my girls. A lot of websites have free shipping too. I live in the UK and we don't have any of those pet shops here. The major chain is Pets at Home, and their cat food selection isn't exactly quality, they've just introduced a brand which is over 50% meat, the rest is 4% meat by product stuff. Sourcing quality food online is a viable option.

Evie gets diarrhea more frequently than normal, any change in diet and she's off. I find high quality food is the only way to control her, I'm still soldiering on with getting her on wet food.

Personally I'd wait until Shug recovers from her UTI. Then take her for tests or trial her on other brand wet foods. If all else fails- get a second opinion.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, that's what the Vet told me about Layla and Wendy too and poo pooed the grain connection with diarrhea. He told me to switch them to dry also, nearly impossible in my household. So I went with grain free wet food (Wellness) and the problem is much better, especially with Layla. Also add some Probiotics to the food, like Fortaflora (you can find it online.)

In my humble opinion, Iam's is junk (and I was once a big proponent of Iam's till I actually read the label.) Might as well feed Fancy Feast or any of the cheaper brands. Iam's is a waste of money. You can order grain free online if you don't have a local source, and it's actually a bit cheaper.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You said she still has diarrhea? I don't agree with his diagnosis like the others- if she had that violent of a reaction to the canned food to give her diarrhea in 20 minutes then she probably would have had something like hives or gone into respiratory arrest as well. Let Shug heal up from her URI, and then try moist foods again in a few weeks. I assume she's not already on Iams food? Whatever you decide to switch her to, do it a tablespoon or two at a time mixed with her old food. This way you will know what she is "allergic" to versus the effects of a dramatic diet change. Also, only change one food at a time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Poor kitty. :(

I agree with everyone else...saying a kitten is allergic to ALL wet foods is like saying a child is allergic to ALL liquids because drinking milk made him throw up. Well, obviously milk, orange juice, lactose free milk, water, and gatorade are all liquids - can I assume that the child is allergic to ALL of those because of his reaction to the milk?

I would say that it's more likely that Shug threw up because either 1) she was sick 2) she was allergic to something IN that SPECIFIC food (like others have said) - be it grain, the type of meat, or something else 3) she was reacting to a food change.

Do you know what food she was eating at the shelter? I wonder if she had ONLY ever eaten dry, if that is why her stomach reacted so violently to wet. She may have just not used to it yet. I've never had the changing food problem with my cats, but I've seen many people on here who have.

Another thing - quality of food makes a BIG difference. I sometimes feel sick after eating a McDonald's chicken nugget meal, but I don't feel sick after eating a nice grilled chicken breast with mashed potatoes. The McDonald's used chicken and potatoes, and so did the other meal. But it was the FRESHNESS of the food, the OTHER ingredients included, and HOW it was prepared, that made the difference.

And, I have checked the ingredients of Iams (I wanted to know why it was so expensive!!) I agree with what the others said - I can find better food for cheaper or the same price, and my cats don't have to eat as much of it because of all the fillers in Iams.

I hope the medicine works and that Shug starts feeling better soon!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts