Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and surprisingly, it went pretty well! I had to harness Wicket to keep him on the table for his boosters and his rabies shot (they weren't mandatory where we were living before but are here for outdoor cats and even though they don't go outdoors there have been two cases here in the last couple of years soooo......yeah) but otherwise things went rather smoothly!

Atlas is weighing in at 13 lbs (our little runt grew up!) and Wicket is a whopping 20 (although I'm a little hesitant to take that number for real, as he wasn't very still and it was a "guestimate" glance). Vet said they're both in great shape, a little tartar on Wicket's teeth and he especially could stand to slim down a bit but he also said he's a pretty big cat so no crazy dieting :D

He was "okay" with the raw diet, saw that I had done some extensive reading before deciding, and didn't try to verbally suggest any Hills but DID write on the bottom of our "report card" that we could try SD weight loss formula for Wicket LOL. I think he knew he shouldn't say it to my face. I just sort of omitted that we feed bone-in so I think he thinks we feed just chunks or commercial raw :D He did suggest looking into searing the outside of the meat, seemed very worried about E. Coli but overall didn't make a big fuss about it. Apparently the Emergency vets here in the city do sometimes quarantine raw fed cats from the general population if you bring them in sick because of the risk of E. Coli transmission.

Along those same lines, I'm going to do a little more research about E. Coli disinfecting just to make sure that we're disinfecting our surfaces properly but we've been using glass/ceramic or hard plastic dishes for them and putting things through the dishwasher or with antibacterial wash so I think we should be okay, right?

Both cats are passed out on the couch downstairs just like kids after getting vaccines and they didnt' seem too put out with our trip. I'm thinking about getting them both microchipped, it's 50 bucks a cat and they apparently don't sedate them when they do it so no recovery time but our bill today was a whopping 333 dollars (boosters for both cats, rabies vaccine and deworming, plus checkup)! Whew! Glad we don't do that very often!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad you found a vet that doesn't give you too much grief abut the raw food. It's always nice to hear they are healthy isn't it? I think your vet is a little expensive....I get we're in different cities, but I didn't think it would be double the cost down there. But, just my opinion, so long as the vet is caring and skilled...it's just money right?

Your dishwasher should be sufficient, the heat kills the germs. Don't go too crazy with the antibacterial stuff, I've heard some nasty things about it (environmental & health wise).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like a good visit! My vet doesn't also give any grief really about the canned/raw combo. So lucky to have him. I'm glad you've found a vet with similar acceptance. There's a holistic vet across town that I'm considering visiting just specifically to discuss nutrition though.

I think your pricing seems pretty close to what my vet charges, but the microchips are more. My vet does them for $40 each.

I'm curious where you are in NS because I'm always on the look-out for a back up vet should my current one decide to go elsewhere - he lived in the UK for a while so I'm always worried he'll go back there or something. LOL

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw SpellQ I didn't change my city in my profile--I'm out in Alberta now. We left NS at the end of September because the union and pay for RNs is so terrible :( We loved everything else about it, hoping to get back there one day when my loans are paid off! Our vet in NS was in Wolfville but I never talked to them about the raw diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts