Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my persian kitty gets her tooth removed on Tuesday, I knew she had tooth resorption over a year ago but put it off..

I always brushed her teeth since her kitten days...Well couple days ago there was blood when I touched it with the brush so I immediatly made a appointment..

It was what I already knew it to be, well she got to keep her tooth for a year now its time to go ��

Persian genetics im feelin some effects...to the tune of $850 counting todays visit

Black Friday visit, I cant even visit amazon now ��

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ouch! This is a new issue to me, but I'm guessing that it's a negative trait specifically with Persians :-( I have a Sheltie (dog) that is genetically prone to bad teeth, too. She had a molar to chip last year, but so far no extractions.

No advice, just commenting to say that I'm sorry to hear it and I feel your pain :-(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vet called Allie had her tooth removed but she told me the same tooth on the other side also had resorption and needed to come out also..

I pick her up in 3 hours

Im upset she had another tooth with resorption.....Im happy she will be in no pain after its healed and we can have a good xmas...

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
How is Allie doing post-dental?

It must be frustrating that you put the effort into brushing her teeth and that she developed dental issues anyway. But she'll be a much happier kitty now. FORLs can be painful, even though kitty may not show obvious signs.

I hope she won't have any more issues, but even if she does eventually need more extractions, even completely toothless kitties do just fine (their owners, maybe not so much given the costs).

One thing I'd recommend is that you always have a dental x-ray done after an extraction. Both of my girls ended up with a tooth root that was not fully removed, and that can be super painful.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sprite!

No xrays, the vet said her tooth came out easily, Allie’s a trooper shes good, purring, taking the meds all good..

Oliver in his eyes I was not aware, I should have been, sees Allie as a Strange cat in the house...I just wiped Allie down with wet napkins, first I did Oliver then Allie trying to get his scent on her and the vet smell off her...

I didnt realize until today how much anxiety Oliver has, I fed him just a little this morning and he puked it right back out...Sigh normally im on top of things, I should have known better... I should have wiped her down yesterday...

·
Super Moderator
26,388 Posts
Sometimes it helps to put a dab of vanilla on the back of their necks and near their bums, because, well, that's where they sniff. This way, they'll smell the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I tried vinegar after reading your post, didnt work Olivers mad

i just rubbed tuna juice on my hand and put it all over the two of them. Allie is finally grooming herself she didnt do it since she came back as far as I have observed

Im going to put them in seperate strollers again like this morning parked close to each other

I always ever had a single cat, this is cat behavior 101

·
Super Moderator
26,388 Posts
Well, I suggested vanilla, would NEVER recommend vinegar.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol im sorry I did use vanilla I mistyped that

So far no go, the tuna juice made Allie clean herself more but I still smell a perfume on her

They were 1/2 ft away from each other in the strollers just fine but if Oliver sniffs Allie its all over..Oliver did eat, I think his anxiety dropped a little, he seems a little more relaxed, im also using feli spray to no avail...

I think when Oliver smells nose to nose with Allie he smells the extraction site

·
Super Moderator
26,388 Posts
OMGosh, so glad you didn't use vinegar, even I can't stand that smell. :)

Hopefully things should go back to normal in a couple days.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more question before I let this sort itself out, I did the vanilla this morning again, didnt work..

I plan on giving them a bath when the sun comes out, should I use plain warm water or use their shampoo?

When I give them baths Oliver hisses at Allie after because of the scent but it only lasts couple hours, im thinking the vet smell is different then the shampoo smell...

So plain warm water or kitty shampoo?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldnt wait i used just couple drops shampoo in the water, funny thing is as I was drying Oliver he was hissing! Hes never hissed when I dry him before, he was very chill during his bath.. Hes still cleaning himself, Allie cleaned herself a little but stopped...I didnt want to do this while shes on antibiodics but its done

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally 74 hours is what it took, the bath helped but a lot of the scent was also from the mouth... They just had a small moment of bonding...

As for Allie I stopped the pain medicine yesterday as she was healing so fast, I could tell by her body language...

She is soo much more happier and purrs a lot more...That resorption was surely causing uneeded pain

Thank You for reading and have a wonderful holiday!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Allie had diarreah for the second time she had some 2 days ago, shes on antirobe aqua drops antibiodic, I will stop that now...Not sure but might have had a little blood in it not sure....

I will call the vet on monday, otherwise shes fine...Dam drugs I hatem

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Allie had diarreah for the second time she had some 2 days ago, shes on antirobe aqua drops antibiodic, I will stop that now...Not sure but might have had a little blood in it not sure....

I will call the vet on monday, otherwise shes fine...Dam drugs I hatem
Did the poop examine, no blood i can find but watery enough I think to stop, wish the vet opened tomorrow so I could ask..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts