Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tooth is killing me! It's hurt for a couple days now, and now my face is swelling up a bit. I don't have any insurance, but I finally called my dentist today so I can go in tomorrow. I would have gone in today, but I don't want to drive with Vicodin in my system, plus we're having major rain storms here and San Diegans are IDIOTS when it comes to driving in the rain.

I tried looking up home remedies late last night, but I didn't have the suggested items (cloves, clove oil, olive oil, peppermint extract, hydrogen peroxide, Wild Turkey, leaves of the guava tree, onion, bark of bay berry).

This is going to cost me a couple thousand dollars, with the appointment, antiobiotics, pain meds and whatever my tooth needs done. :(

One good thing - I found a gift card to the local mall that I got last year for Christmas and never spent (I HATE shopping), so the girls will have a nice Christmas. :D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Ouch, sooo painful!

You know, one of the best things that helped me was salt. Put some salt in a cup of warm water and let it dissolve, then take a sip and hold it on the tooth until it goes cold, and keep doing it.

It works by osmosis, it draws the pus out of tooth which is what is hurting so much as it cant escape and is building up pressure:(

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the salt thing last night, it made no difference. :(

I've been doing Vicodin, Bailey's, sleeping pills, and some other pills I found......but then I thought about Heath and figured I'd better stop doing that. 8O

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not helping, either. The gum around the tooth doesn't hurt, just my tooth itself and my face - inside my lower lip, I guess.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't know if I'd be willing to try it myself but a hydrogen peroxide wash would probably be very good for killing of the infection and easing pain. My Dad's mom made one of her sons gargle with hydrogen peroxide when he had chicken pox lesions inside the mouth and it worked!

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have any hydrogen peroxide. :(

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, thank goodness, not TMJ.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i know how you feel i have 3 teeth that are killing me but no money what so ever to see a dentist so i just suffer and every once in a while i go to the doc for antibiotics that helps for a little bit.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Have you tried an ice pack on your face Marie? It might help reduce some of the swelling, which would reduce the pain.

If you have some thing like Aleve that might also help reduce the swelling.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
It sounds like you've tried everything you can and nothing is working. I am glad you decided to stop mixing meds, the Heath comment really frightened me! I'm not sure I would have thought of that. I think you're just going to have to wait until tomorrow after you see the Dentist to get some relief. Ask if he has any samples! I know Drs can sometimes give free samples, maybe Dentists can, too?
So, until tomorrow comes, feel free to vent away here. We'll listen. :patback
h

ps. Tell one of your twins to bite your tail, then you won't focus so much on your tooth. :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Sounds like it is seriously infected Marie. Im glad you are going to the dentist. Its dangerous to leave something infected.

Im a big beleiver there is no nobility in being in pain. Pain killers, like you are taking, are about the only relief your going to get till you get into to see the dentist. So sorry this is happening to you. These things only happen when we can least afford it!

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heidi n Q said:
Ask if he has any samples! I know Drs can sometimes give free samples, maybe Dentists can, too?
I really like this dentist. He took care of my tooth that broke for free because I wasn't working, and he said if I needed anything further on that tooth, even a root canal, he'd work with me and help me out with the costs. So I'm sure he'll do all he can, but there's only so much I'll accept for free. Just the guilty feeling, I guess. But I have also referred several people to his practice.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Marie, it very well could be an abscessed tooth. The gum itself may not swell because the infection is beginning below the gumline inside the tooth pulp.

What tooth is hurting, do you know? If it is one of your back molars, you could probably just have it pulled and be done with it. It really is not too necessary to have a root canal done on a back molar. If all you have done is a simple extraction, then you will probably spend between 200 and 350 dollars for the procedure along with antibiotics.

But if your tooth that is abscessed is between two others, then the money adds up. Because then you will either need a root canal and a crown afterwards. Or else you will need to have the tooth pulled in the case of a bad abscess and then have a bridge made. That is where your costs will be.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
My husband did the same thing Donald is talking about. "What do you need teeth for anyway", he says! :lol: It was the cheaper alternative though, and at that time, it really helped us out too.

Sounds to me like you've got an infection going on down there. But whatever it is, I'm so glad you are going to the dentist! If it is infection, it could get really bad if you don't do something about it. I hope you feel better quickly! Go snuggle with the kit kits, and try to get some rest until tomorrow. :patback

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Marie - I got a crown back in March and long story short, got a root canal in that same tooth a few weeks ago. The crown they put on in March was a "half" crown to preserve as much tooth as possible. That procedure never worked so they finally replaced it with a full crown a few weeks ago and when I came home after getting the temporary full crown put on, I had the WORST shooting pains in my tooth ever!! I seriously wanted to JUMP off a BRIDGE! The next day I went to the dentist and they referred me to an endodontist who concluded the nerves were so messed up from being worked on since March ( I went in a lot between March and November because that dang half crown just was never right and eventually became so cold sensitive which is when they finally decided to swtich to a whole crown) and so decided I needed a root canal.

The root canal was the BEST decision I made. At that point I was in so much pain that I told them to extract it as well.

So, since your gums aren't sore, it could be that your nerve/roots are just upset and need to be taken out.

I feel your pain...with tooth aches like what you are describing, it's almost impossible to get rid of the pain on your own. I hope your dentist can give you some relief tomorrow! :patback

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Ugh! I hate tooth pain! I'd ditch the vicodin and stick with the Baileys...or maybe tequila :lol:

Hope the dentist works magic for you tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts