Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week I have been noticing something rather interesting.

Jitzu has always disliked Torri. She'll chase, swat, hiss, and generally harass her. Nothing has changed there, Torri's still a wussy, and Jitzu's still being a jerk.

However, lately Muffin seems to take offense to these exchanges. He'll see Jitzu stalking Torri (I do correct it if I see it, btw) and he'll go after Jitzu. Last night he chased her under a table, and kept her there for a 1/2 hour! To me this is startling for many reasons, first being that Jitzu didn't try to eat him. But Muffin did it very calmly. Like he was telling her off, and he put her in a time out. It was very methodical. And he's done it more than 3 times I can think of in the past week.
Muffin is almost a year (in Sept) and is definitely the heaviest cat, but until last night I've never seen him use that to his advantage.
Has he just decided that it's his job to 'manage' Jitzu???

Jitzu has always been the 'top cat' and generally still is, but she was actually giving Muffin space, rather than the other way around. She would duck her head lower than his, choose not to make eye-contact, and shuffle around him. He didn't even acknowledge her, but she did it every time she had to go past him last night.
Today? Everyone's back to normal, he's walking around her again.

Am I just reading their body language wrong???

(Admittedly, I would be way beyond thrilled with any resolution that led to all my cats being free and happy in the house...but I also feel kinda guilty for being glad one of the cats is giving her a taste of her own medicine.)

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I have definitely seen Holly run interference for Maggie when Kobi's picking on her, so you probably saw Muffin do the same sort of thing. Muffin is a little young to be challenging for top cat of the house, but it may be starting. If a cat is going to make a play for the number one spot it typically happens closer to age 2.

BTW, I don't feel bad at all when one of the girls gets the best of Kobi, I even congratulate them with a "you go, girl". Maggie actually chased him out of the bedroom one day last week, I was really proud of her! :lol:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's good to know!

As much as I love Jitzu she's the most frustrating of all the cats. I wouldn't be upset to see her lose the 'top cat' spot, since I'm sure any of the others in that spot would make for a more peaceful residence. *sigh*
I'm almost hoping Muffin decides he is top cat...He's gentle and wants everyone to be happy, and he's going to be the biggest...already is weight-wise. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

On a positive note Torri came right up to Jitzu while she was sleeping yesterday. She was just trying to sniff my lunch plate, but at least they got that close without a fight!

I hope they will all be able to get along at some point.
Thanks doodlebug!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Well, it might get worse before it gets better if Muffin decides to challenge. You might want to read Cat vs Cat by Pam Johnson Bennett. Might help you interpret what you're seeing in their interaction.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we actually have that book at work! I've been thinking about getting it, looks like it's next on my list.

I'll def check it out. I've read bits of it before, but I'm gonna buy it.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts