·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thumb:

Not good enough? Okay. My thumb bends:

Still not good enough? Scroll down:

My thumb bends backwards:

The only other people I know with a double jointed thumb are also pianists . :) My doctor was fascinated with it. :lol: And now Tim can't say I never posted a picture of myself! :wink:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Good gracious .... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
OK Jeanie....that's just creepy. Looks like some sort of mutant goose. I'll be having nightmares tonight :lol:.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
This thread needed a warning! 8O

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
mine can do the same thing. It was great for thumb wrestling in school. Just play like a normal thumb and bend that sucker back when they try to pin ya. Oh snap! :wink: perhaps I will take a pic, too.

BTW, Jeanie, the only other people I've met with thumbs like that were drummers. :p

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand what you mean. Some children are frightened by my thumb. Of course, I grew up thinking that everyone's thumb bent both ways. :)

I hope you slept well last night, DB! :lol:

Steve, I love to play the drums! I have taught percussion, although it's not my major instrument family. I love the snare drum and the tympani!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I thought everyone could do it too, until my biology class in high school. They were talking about genetic traits and how some people have functions that others don't. They started talking about how there are those strange people out there who can bend their thumb backwards! Someone caught me bending mine backwards and they flipped out lol.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Jeanie said:
Steve, I love to play the drums! I have taught percussion, although it's not my major instrument family. I love the snare drum and the tympani!
marching snare is my thing, I sold my drum kit in the 80's but still work out chops and rudiments almost daily. Perhaps you can teach me to play "ditty" and "shopping spree" by the Concorde Blue Devils. :mrgreen:

(just search 'bd ditty' and 'bd spree' on youtube)

ETA link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPhCznA ... re=related

no, thats not me playing :wink:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Boy am I ever glad that I am not alone with this phenomenom!!
When I was a child, my piano teacher thought that I was deformed and that it would hinder my playing. 8O Needless to say, my father got a different piano teacher for me who used this "skill" to teach me to be able to reach a span of more than an octave.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts