Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow kitty lovers.

I have been hearing all different things regarding fruits and veggies that are either toxic or healthy for cats. For instance, Tooky loves avocados, but my cousin who is a vet just told me they are toxic for cats! I had no idea! And I also heard that grapes (more specifically the skin) are toxic as well.

Does anyone know what is ok for cats to munch and what's not?

Also, what about dairy products? Tooky love love loves milk and cheese, but I noticed he gets diarrhea from them when he has too much or too quickly. I've heard cats are lactose intolerant when the get older, but if that's so why do they love dairy so much?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I know a lady whose cat is crazy about grapes - he steals them every chance he gets. I never knew cats went for stuff like that. I have heard that onion and garlic are toxic to cats.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just found this online at this link - Fruits and vegetables that are toxic to your cat - Long Island Cats | Examiner.com

Vegetables
Store any onions, garlic, chives and similar root vegetables safely out of kitty’s reach. These all contain a toxic substance that can wreak havoc on a cat’s red blood cells, causing anemia.
Avocado
Avocado is a big no-no for your cat. In fact, every part of the fruit, from its leaves, fruit, seeds and even bark contain a toxin called Persin, which can cause stomach and gastrointestinal upset for your cat if consumed.
Unripe tomatoes
Certain unripe vegetables like green tomatoes and raw green potatoes fall into the same family of plants as the notorious Nightshade, and contain a poison called Solanine that can cause gastrointestinal distress for cats. However, if these are ripe, they cause no concern if ingested.
Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins contain an as yet unknown toxin that can cause fatal kidney failure for your cat. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center strongly advises against allowing your cat to eat these.
While spring and summer are popular times to stock your house with fresh fruits and vegetables, be cautious of how and where you store them so that kitty doesn’t have access to them. Even in small amounts, these seemingly harmless foods can cause many potential health problems for your cat.
If you have reason to believe your kitty has ingested any of these harmful foods, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center immediately.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The ASPCA has a list on their website too: ASPCA | People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

I always hear mixed information about avocados. I've heard stories of pets dying after consuming even just the fruit, yet Avoderm uses them in their dog and cat food and claims it's safe. :/
I avoid them just to stay on the safe side. It's possible some cats are affected and some aren't.

It's worth noting that it's not just unripe potatoes, but also ripe uncooked potatoes that are dangerous. To both cats and people! Cooking them gets rid of the toxin (although it's best to avoid green potatoes or parts with "eye" sprouts on them, even when cooked, just to be safe, as these contain a higher amount of solanine).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts