Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I train Angel to sleep somewhere else other than my bed? She sheds so much and my fiance is so allergic to her. She sleeps with me at night, but after my fiance and I get married and move in together, she won't be able to sleep with us. I've thought about putting a cat bed somewhere and trying to get her to sleep in that, but I have no idea where to start. Also, I've tried to keep my door closed at night so that she'll start sleeping somewhere else, but she just sits at the door and meows. If I keep the door open though, then she can just jump up on the bed (and I'm a heavy sleeper so I can't kick her off). If I do buy a cat bed, how is she supposed to know what it is? How do I show her that that's where she's supposed to sleep? Please help, she's been sleeping in my bed since the day I got her (over a year ago) so it's going to be a hard habit to break. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Melissa & Angel

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How about some allergy medicine that might help your fiance? This way Angel can sleep with you and her feelings won't be hurt.
If you buy a kitty bed she won't have a clue she is supposed to sleep there. If the allergies are that bad you will probably have to keep her out of the room at night in order for her to stay out of your bed. I don't know of a trick to point to her --->>here is your bed!
Make sure she gets plenty of playtime and attention before this way she will sleep through the night. Some cats are known to meow at the door :( not letting their parents to sleep. SO it is important she gets tired right before so she won't get a chance to interfere with your night rest. They also say to ignore their meowing and they will stop after a while.

ps - Andrew dare not put me in this position because I may become allergic to him and buy him *special* bed on the floor ..my kitties are staying on the bed with me :twisted:/ ideally - with us :)// well on a serious note if his asthma acted up I would eventually have to give in ..it would be a tough situation for me :?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is a trick that worked for me. Get an old sweatshirt and wear it for a while. Make sure that you don't wash it. Put it where you want the cat to sleep. Put the kitty on the sweatshirt. She will sniff around it and pick up your scent. She will then associate the sweatshirt with you and it will become her bed. Cats love to lie on anything that has their owners scent on it. This worked with my cat and now she sleeps and lies on her bed (my old sweatshirt). She will become very attached to it in a few days and will probably keep lying on it. Good Luck!

Schroeder

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LoL! I was telling my fiance the other day that he can just take medicine for his allergies and he got all upset about it. So ioana's post cracked me up (the first sentece). My fiance says he won't take medicine because anything he's tried makes him feel like crap. I would rather sleep with my husband then my cat in the future :) I love Angel, but even I can't sleep with her some nights because she gets too playful. Anyway...I like the sweatshirt idea. I'll definately have to try that. Should I start off with the sweatshirt in my room, and then move it into another once she gets used to it? Or should I put it in the room I want her in right away? Also, I need more ideas incase the sweatshirt idea doesn't work.
Thanks again,
Melissa & Angel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Start off with the sweatshirt on your bed where she normally sleeps. The best place is on the bottom corner of the bed. Once she starts sleeping and lying on it regularly, try moving it to where you want her to start sleeping. Put it in a nice soft kitty bed. She will probably stay in the kitty bed for the most part, because she thinks that you are near because your smells are all over the sweatshirt. Good luck, hope it works for you.

Schroeder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts