Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some neighbors came to my feeding station as the cats were eating their daily meal, and said they'd come with the specific purpose of training their dogs to attack cats, as part of the dogs' training session for today. I stood between the dogs and the cats and asked them to leave, to which they tried to scare me into compliance. I screamed and made so much noise that when they threatened to attack me, I said "Do so, you have tens of witnesses around you looking over here now." so they yelled and scorned me for a while and at last left. I don't understand why we're so pressured to TNR when the same gov't orgs that pressure us to TNR won't do a thing when those poor cats, after going through the trauma of TNR, are left to be killed by any neighbor at their wish. It's my belief that if we neuter them, we owe them at the very least some respect to continue being alive. Yet if I call the police, the police laugh in my face.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
This is so sad. I find it appalling how people treat cats as if their lives were nothing. I'm so sorry you had to go through defending them. Your neighbors are so @#^@#$#.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This is not good. Why do they want the dogs to attack the cats?

You could retaliate by feeding the dogs doctored food. Nothing fatal, perhaps something to give them diarrhea.

Another tack. Can you get pictures of the dogs. Go to the media with them. Perhaps see if you can interest the Mail Online. They do international stories and have a large animal loving readership. Your country may not like the bad publicity it would bring.

Anybody have ideas as to where Straysmommy might get more publicity?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jusjim, that's an excellent idea. I'm going to gather more stories like this one and instead of the local publications, I'll send it to the US. This is what hurts them the most here.

In the meantime, I translated my first post here and sent it to the Head Vet at the municipality. I added that they're losing a lot of money in fines they don't give to dog-owners walking unleashed dogs here in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I would start carrying a tazer with me if I were you. Any human or dog being encouraged by the human to attack my kitties wouldn't be doing it again. :wink

·
Registered
117 Posts
what a terrible thing to happen!!!! Can you get an avo against your neighbours since they have threatened to attack you? Maybe it is worth calling the police, so if they try it again, there is record of previous harassment.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All stray cat caregivers need a shocker (Tazer) but they're not allowed by the police.

In turn, the police does nothing when threats are reported. Several times I've pretended to call the police and say it was an Arab attacking the neighborhood, that way I was left in peace by the attacker. Otherwise the attackers (who are often groups of children) know the police won't pay attention to you, so they laugh in your face as you dial.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is not good. Why do they want the dogs to attack the cats?

You could retaliate by feeding the dogs doctored food. Nothing fatal, perhaps something to give them diarrhea.

Anybody have ideas as to where Straysmommy might get more publicity?
That not fair to the dogs? The human's are the guilty party here. Dogs are just doing what they are told. Diarrhea would sure be quite the mess for the humans to clean up after though...lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Some neighbors came to my feeding station as the cats were eating their daily meal, and said they'd come with the specific purpose of training their dogs to attack cats, as part of the dogs' training session for today. I stood between the dogs and the cats and asked them to leave, to which they tried to scare me into compliance. I screamed and made so much noise that when they threatened to attack me, I said "Do so, you have tens of witnesses around you looking over here now." so they yelled and scorned me for a while and at last left. I don't understand why we're so pressured to TNR when the same gov't orgs that pressure us to TNR won't do a thing when those poor cats, after going through the trauma of TNR, are left to be killed by any neighbor at their wish. It's my belief that if we neuter them, we owe them at the very least some respect to continue being alive. Yet if I call the police, the police laugh in my face.
That is awful but BIG KUDOS to you for standing up for them You are my hero!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a law here that it's forbidden to set animals to fight between them, any animals. I think it'd be a wonderful law if they enforced it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe if you placed a call or submitted the letter describing the event and how your concerned about how these people are training their dogs to attack smaller animals.Dogs that are trained to attack cats may be that one step closer to attacking small humans too. I'm not a dog owner so I hope I am not far reaching by saying that. Maybe if you put it into that perspective they may at least look at it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dog-owners in my neighborhood are terrorizing mothers and children too, in the public parks. They don't go to the children's parks anymore. I said this too in the letter. The problem with laws is that once I used to think that if something is against the law, then you're in trouble if you do it. Now I know that laws have enforcement seasons. Unleashed dogs laws were enforced 2 years ago, which means that now they can terrorize freely because this is a non-enforcement season. Now the law against driving without a driving permit is being enforced.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Can you bring it to the attention of your SPCA? Sometimes they have the authority to be the law.

Very sick and twisted kids. Do you know where they live? I know in my neighborhood, I would march down to the parents' house and tell them. Its amazing what parents find out their kids are doing :wink

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These of today and most dog-owners are kids in their thirties.

However, in the case of small children, I'm sure it's the parents' that teach kids whether to respect or kill street cats. I've never met a street-cat hating kid whose parents loved or at least respected street cats. So even if I could discover a kids' parents by the kid's face, going to their houses would be like getting into the wolf's mouth itself.

We don't have an SPCA here. Animal protection (or actually lack thereof) is carried out by the municipalities.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You would be very surprised about kids and parents.

A good example would be the 10 year old freak of a kid that lives at the end of our street. He actually tried to shoot Savannah with a BB gun!!!

I marched down to their house full of mommy bear anger, ready to rip heads off. I mean really ... who lets their kid run the neighborhood with a BB gun?! OHHHH I was steaming!

Come to find out, it was the dad's BB gun from when he was a kid. He had it put up in his closet and took his son once to the firing range to try it out. He put it back in the closet and it seemed the kid figured that meant it was his to play with. He was sneaking it out the back door of their house :?

OHHH yeah his rear was in some MAJOR trouble.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sometimes I wonder whether neutering should be limited to dogs and cats.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts