Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...has proven to be rather difficult. So to get to the point, I got Finnick sooner than expected. He is not litterbox training well. He does poop and pee in the litterbox, but he also poops and pees outside the litterbox. I clean it out a lot, so I don't understand why he's doing this. He's very finicky about the location. I had it in one area and had to move it completely in order for him to even consider using it.

The other problem is that along with Finnick, I have his sister (Katniss), so they're both using the same litterbox. She's pretty good about it. It's just a tuberware thing because I needed something short enough for them to be able to get into it. Do you think it's just because two of them are using it and getting another one will solve the issue?

Now to their poop: it's really gross smelling and kind of runny. Is it because of their diet? Finnick had stringy poop last night that I thought was a worm, but I wasn't sure. Katniss has a hard time pooping and mews the entire time. I'm feeding them half a can of EVO a day mixed with water to ensure they stay hydrated, plus I have dry food sitting out at all times so that if they're hungry they can eat, even if I'm not around. They have a water bowl too. Sometimes they understand it; sometimes they see their reflection and freak out. I tried feeding them KMR but they will NOT eat it. They much prefer the meat and kibble. I tried mixing the KMR with the kibble and the meat, but they wouldn't touch it, so if it's their diet, suggestions on better food will be good.

Any suggestions or advice? They are going to the vet Friday for an exam, so if it's anything truly worrisome, maybe the vet can tell me something.

(Sorry this is so long btw)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I took two large pizza boxes, put liners around them, filled them with litter, and they are now lining the area where they like to use the bathroom. Katniss has peed in one already, but she was pretty good about it to begin with. Do you think this will help?

·
Registered
60 Posts
that may work. i am not sure about food suggestions. have they been de-wormed? one of my kittens had stringy type stools for a few weeks. she didn't have worms, it was just her body reacting to the medicine.

for the litter... something that has worked for the kittens i have (and had at a young age) was to put them in the litter and move their foot through it a couple times. i did that every hour i was home or when they were sniffing around. the kittens i have now (found outside and am re-homing) are maybe 6 weeks old. they are using the litterbox most of the time with very few accidents. they go outside of the box if no one is home or another cat/kitten is in the box.

i hope the vet eval goes well and that nothing is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow, even the 5 kittens I hand raised took right to the box, no accidents. good luck, I'd say super low sided and multiple options.

Leslie

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
These are two former ferals that you've had for a couple days and they're less than 6 weeks old right? I think you need to readjust your expectations about the box just a bit. Remember that it's only been a week or two since mom stopped stimulating them to go and cleaning them herself. You need to help them with this...the first thing is to make sure that the box is always within a few feet of them (basically in the same room) and watch when they start to go and get them right in the box. You might want to use kitten attract litter.

They more than likely have worms or other parasites which could be the cause for the diarrhea. Another is the abrupt food change. EVO is extremely rich and they may be having trouble dealing with it. But...as long as they're staying hydrated, I wouldn't change the food until after the vet visit...see exactly what you have going on and then figure out a strategy. You don't want to do multiple food changes within a few days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I first got my 2 kittens one didn't want to use the box at all. I put the box in the living room where we were most of the time so it was right there and he didn't have to go find it. I put him in it often, really often through the day and if I knew he hadn't gone in awhile I would keep him there for a few minutes. It took about a week and I had to stay on top of him all the time. Eventually he started using it regularly and after another few weeks I moved it somewhere more convenient for me. I didn't have any problems after until he got older and wanted to start spraying. Even then he used his box for pooping and peeing. He just saved some pee to make his spots.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thus far it's been going okay. I've been on them. They have a certain meow that they do whenever they have to go, so I quickly put them in the litterbox. Sometimes when they don't mew, they go to the litterbox themselves. I think adding the two additional litterboxes has helped a lot.

My expectations were high because I was informed they were already litterbox trained by the family, but I suppose it couldn't have been for long. I did not know there was kitten attract litter - I'll have to look into that. The litterboxes are in the same room as them, and they are confined to one room, so it's always near.

My main concern is actually their feces. I expect that they have worms just because I expect all kittens to have worms. I am just worried they have a severe form. Katniss just cries when she uses the bathroom that I feel it's something severe. It's good to know that EVO is rich though and that could be part of the reason for it. I've doubled the water content in their wet food so it's more like soup - but they enjoy it anyway, so I guess it's okay - just to ensure that they don't dehydrate.

Mostly, I just want reassurance that they'll be okay until Friday. Research has me worried that they'll die any minute (of course, I always look at the bad stuff first and expect the worst, so it's probably just my worrisome nature making me paranoid).

- As a side note, I actually have no idea how old they are. Somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks, I believe, so I guess they are doing good for once feral kittens (they, by the way, love people now. They aren't scared of anyone so at least I don't have to worry about them being people shy).

·
Registered
35 Posts
My new kitten also cries everytime she goes potty in her litterbox. I have had her for 2 weeks today. According to the vet she was only 4-5 weeks old and the whole litter of kittens was found on the side of road by my boss and I took this one in as I was looking for a new female kitten. I immediately took her to my vet who gave her a clean bill of health to be able to bring home but kept away from my 2 adult cats. Unfortunately, a few days later we found out she has ringworm (treated by antifungal cream and betadine baths), then a few days after that a skin infection from scratching (on antibiotic) and then tape worm which vet says needs to wait before being treated as she is too young. Vet says it is normal and some kittens cry when pottying. Vet visit again on Friday, at least she will be close friends with the vet, Heather.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess they're just vocal poopers then. I hope they aren't too young to get dewormed. Your poor kitty has been through a bunch though. I hope she checks out okay Friday!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vet says Piper is doing much better and will check her again in 1 week. Continue with cream for the ringworm, iodine bath once a week and finish the antibiotic. Her fur is growing back and hopefully in another 2-3 weeks, she can mingle with my 2 adult cats under supervision.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I adopted Pumpkin at 6 weeks, and she was old enough to be de-wormed right then (my local shelter has vet techs/vet on site for de-wormings, shots & spay/neuter surgeries). Once I got her home, she did fine with the litterbox while in her safe-room, but when I let her out of the room at 7 weeks she would miss her box if it was too far away. I had to buy a second box so I could keep one upstairs and one downstairs for her. Hygiene-wise I suggest investing in some pet/baby wipes until they get the hang of cleaning themselves!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet says Piper is doing much better and will check her again in 1 week. Continue with cream for the ringworm, iodine bath once a week and finish the antibiotic. Her fur is growing back and hopefully in another 2-3 weeks, she can mingle with my 2 adult cats under supervision.
Yay! I'm glad she's getting better.

My two went to the vet today. They have coccadia, so they're on antibiotics for the next ten days. That gives me time to find Katniss a home too. I've moved them both into the bathroom. The vet suggested it would help out with the litter box issue, plus they keep me up all night wanting attention and I'm tired of running on 3 hours of sleep.

Hygiene-wise I suggest investing in some pet/baby wipes until they get the hang of cleaning themselves!
I just bought some yesterday, so I'm glad it was a good idea! I worried about it harming them but then decided if it's good enough for human babies, I'm sure it wouldn't harm a kitten.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts