Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Clover was probably born feral; she was found by the side of a highway with a bloody nose and mouth when she was 8 weeks old. Now (a year and half later) she's a wonderful cat, but only around my family (around others she will be in the room, but will NOT let them approach her - not that she's much better with my parents). I'm her favorite, and I can always come up to her and pick her up, play with her, etc, because I spent the whole summer when I got her socializing her. She sleeps next to me in bed at night in a cat bed (she tries to nurse on the side of the bed - so cute). However, she REFUSES to sit on my lap. If I hold her there she will endure it for a few seconds - she loves me that much - but it is obvious she doesn't like it and she will take any opportunity to get down. Is there ANY way to train a non-lap cat to sit on laps? I am just dying for her to be a lap cat!! Two of our others love laps, but they will only sit there for a few minutes and then get bored and leave. I hope you can help me with Clover.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I guess I am not sure of a way to turn a non-lap cat into one that enjoys it. It seems like some cats are and some aren't. My 10 year old cat Velvet has never been a lap cat either. She sounds very much like Clover, will tolerate for short periods, but then get down right away. Some cats do become more lap cats as they get older, so Clover may yet enjoy sitting in your lap.
Little Clover sure had a rough start in life. Poor little thing on the side of a highway. :( I bet she really does love you for rescuing her!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I can second the opinion that Clover may become a lap cat as she gets older. Psi is just turning 1 and he has barely EVER sat in my lap.. but he's sitting here right now as I write this! He's so cute!

Samhain also increased in lap-i-ness as she got older too. She is now 7.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my cats are maine coons and will only very rarely jump on my lap but they love petting and scratching behind the ears. Harley (the lost cat ill give updates) will jump on my lap only when im on the computer for some reason. She then proceeds to nest which is a little painful. Blaze doesnt go on anyones lap and is a really timid cat. She likes my mom, me and tolerates dad a little but is so scared of anyone else.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help, I hope she eventually will be a lap kitty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts