Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for my friend, and I wasn't sure where else to post it.

My friend has semi-adopted a cat who loves hanging out at her house, but is actually someone else's cat. He is very sweet and probably about 5-7 years old. His owner found him and rescued him, so she's not sure of his exact age. The owner, however, has dogs and is not very concerned with her cat - he basically roams around outside all day. They live in a subdivision.

On two separate occasions, including yesterday, this poor boy has been attacked by some kind of wild animal. He's also been close to being hit by cars. I am of the school of thought that cats should be indoor only, especially in an urban or suburban area like where we are, and this poor boy only confirms my beliefs.

The cat's owner proposed yesterday that my friend adopt him completely, since she has her dogs and the cat seems to feel more at home in my friend's house (and she doesn't seem to care much about this poor cat). Due to the obvious DANGER this poor boy faces outside, my friend wants to make him an indoor only cat. Is that possible to do? She's worried that he'll be heartbroken not being allowed to go outside, but she obviously wants him to be safe!!

Thanks for any insight!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
this is exactly how I got my cat Tuna.. exact same scenario only I stole the cat from the owners as they didnt care about the cat after they got dogs they just let it outside and wouldn't let it back in the house.

anyways Ive done it but it is hard.

When I first brought him home with me it was an apartment so not like Tuna could leave to go outside anymore anyways.

However he knew which door was the main door out and he would sit infront of it meow for hours non stop to let him go outside and I would not.

Also using the kitty litter was a problem as tuna I guess got used to do it outside or maybe its because I had other cats but he did his thing on my carpets for months and it was hard to get off the smell (actually know when I think about it was prolly because I had other cats he did it or a combination of both) anyways after a few months he became a complete indoors cat.

a year later I moved to a house and he started going outside again however now he would not leave my house more than 6feet. which is good because I never have to worry about looking for him.. I open the door and he runs out.. stays on my front lawn and would not leave (prolly because he does not want to lose the warm home he has incase he gets lost or I wouldn't let him back in so he sticks around really close to the front door of my house.

so simple answer is YES no problems it will just get annoying when the cat will meow non stop for you to let him outside but you must not

1 - 2 of 2 Posts