Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure to cover everything.

We have three cats, two older females (11-year-old Olive and 10-year-old Ginger) and a 2-year-old male (Loki). About a month ago, Ginger started getting frequent diarrhea, and it kept getting worse and worse. Eventually, she had a rectal prolapse from straining. We had it repaired, but she continued to have issues. Eventually, we took all of her cat food away and fed her only boiled chicken & baby food (chicken flavored). After 3 days on that diet, the diarrhea stopped, and two more days after that she started having normal poops.

After consulting with our vet (who Ginger visited 5 times during this episode), we were told to put her on a novel protein diet. I guess that a bunch of them are hard to get right now, so we ended up going with Rayne's Rabbit diet. We also decided that it would be best to transition all three cats to the same diet so that (1) it was easier on us for feeding and (2) we wouldn't have to worry about Ginger eating the wrong food and causing issues.

Last Thursday was the first day on the new Rayne food. Yesterday (day 4), we upped the amount of new food for all the cats. About mid-day, we discovered that Ginger had diarrhea again. We backed off on the amount of new food we mix with her chicken and baby food, then kept with a smaller amount today. About an hour ago (around 7 PM my time), she went again and once again had diarrhea. It's not as bad as before, and not as frequent; at the height of her issue, she was going 3-4 times a day.

I left a message for my vet, but I won't hear back until tomorrow. We are going to cut the Rayne completely for Ginger tonight and in the morning to see if it helps. We've never had to transition cats before and I'm wondering if the diarrhea is maybe normal during the introduction of new food? Or if maybe we upped the amount too soon or too much? The issue we have is that Ginger is getting tired of the chicken and baby food and doesn't want to eat unless we give her some of the Rayne stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use homeopet digestive upset or probiotic or pumpkin puree to help with new food and diarrhea.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts