Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using Cat's Pride (only because that is the stuff the breeder was using, so we wanted to keep Yoshi on it until we were sure he was all set with the litter box). But I want to transition him to a natural litter.

I decided on Purr & Simple (made out of nutshells). However, I got the non-clumping and it's pellets. I had a feeling the pellets wouldn't go over well....

I put the new litter at the bottom of a freshly cleaned box, then put the Cat's Pride on top of it. He did 1 pee in it right off the bat, but didn't bury it too much because of the pellets underneath. He hasn't used that litter box since and that was over a week ago (he has 3 litter boxes at the moment...although he only uses 2 of them).

Has anyone here successfully transitioned their cat/kitten from a clay litter to a pellet one? Yoshi is a kitten btw (almost 16 weeks old).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have to a pine litter. My gal was about 14 wks and I mixed a 1/4 of the new with 3/4 of old and increased every day for 4 days? She was super easy though not really fussy with the type of litter so maybe I'm not the best person. But you should mix it all together for sure and not just put layers KWIM? that way they can't avoid the new stuff.
Oh and put the new stuff in all the boxes so he can't be choosy!
good luck!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would put the new stuff in all the boxes, but he had 2 pee accidents during the first 2 weeks after we brought him home.....so I'm reluctant to try anything hardcore (we just spent $5000 on new carpet/flooring!).

I might put 2 litter boxes in his bedroom during the day when he's in shut in there.....and maybe see if he will use the box with the mixed litter.

Still don't have a good feeling about it.....I don't think I would like pellets if I were a cat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts