Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kitten freezes to death on plane

Kitten Freezes To Death On Plane

As a former breeder oftentimes it was necessary to transport cats, and I didn't have any horror stories, but there were a lot of mistakes with this little Sphynx kitty.

First of all the kitty was too young to be transported by plane. 11 weeks old is much too young for a kitten to leave it's momcat and littermates. It should have been at least 16 weeks, or 4 months old or older. The breeder should never have consented to have this kitten shipped at this age.

Many airlines will not transport animals during the coldest winter months or the hottest summer months, so I'm surprised that Delta is one of the acceptions. I know that Air Canada will not ship in winter months.

Even tho the kitty was in climate-controlled compartment, it died because it was likely on a baggage train too long and was not taken off the plane immediately and put in a heated vehicle.

If you ever have to transport a cat by plane, always get a direct flight to its destination even if you have to drive to a major airport to do it.

It was through neglect, ignorance and greed that this kitty had to suffer and die a needless death.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I read another version of the same story, which noted that cargo areas for pets are climate controlled when the plane is operating, but as soon as the plane's engines are shut off, the cargo area is no longer climate controlled. That makes sense if you think about it, since one the plane stop and the engines are shutdown, there's nothing to provide any heat...although I hadn't thought about that aspect before. Apparently, in this case, the cargo-hold door was stuck while the plane was sitting on the runway with its engine off, and it took some time to get the door open, during which time the cat froze. It's such a sad story.

It is very worrisome when one transports cats via plane. In January, my daughter moved back to the UK and had to transport her cat via plane...since there was no other way to get him there. She used Air Canada, and it was a nightmare (albeit not because of weather issues). Fortunately, Neko is now safe and sound in the UK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts