Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of NO WHERE, 4 kittens appeared yesterday.
I manged to trap 3 out of 4 of them.
The 3 are all tiger stripped, and the 4th one is all black with a white tip on its tail.

They were treated for fleas, and worms, and got an FIV test as well.
The vet thinks they are 3 months old at least.

Do you think I will have a problem socializing them since they're 3 months old?
I'm mainly worried about that.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's wonderful! Good for you for rescuing these little ones! 3 month old kittens are perfectly socializeable. Older kittens do often take a little longer to socialize, but most 3 month old kittens will start to come around a bit within a couple of weeks. If it were me, then yes, I would take them in and socialize them, though, I admittedly have resources at my disposal that aren't available to everyone. Are you still attempting to trap the 4th kitten?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Awwwwwww kittens....post pictures...please!!

I don't think it will be hard ti socialize them. They are still young enough...but I'm surely no expert. It would be great if you could catch the 4th one :(

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am attempting to catch the 4th one.
It doesn't come around a lot, but when its hungry, hopefully it will make its way into the trap and grab the food in there.

I will post pictures now, one moment!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
OMG....they are stunning!!! Beautiful. I hate to say this (I ADORE my babies) ...but every time I see rescued kittens I wish I didn't have any so I could adopt. I LOVE kittens!!! They are gorgeous!!! So jealous, thank you for helping them. I hope you get the 4th one

·
Banned
693 Posts
I think they may be socialized. I would certainly try it. I would try to get the last one as well. Best case, they will socialize but even if they do not, TNR would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
2 are letting me hold/pet them a bit, the 3rd one is scared out of her mind.
She will come around..poor thing :( I wouldn't force her...she'll see you handling the others and see its ok. I'd talk to her in cute voice... Soft and sweet I'd also meow and purr towards her and give slow blink eyes. I wish I could play with them

·
Banned
693 Posts
I agree....pix of the little black one and the sister will see you handling, plus feeding her, and she will come around. She will smell your scent on the siblings. Coo at her when you bring in their food....YAY.
Are you keeping all 4 or ?? They look so pretty!!

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trouble with feral kitten.

A few days ago, we caught 4 three month old kittens.

2 days later, 3 of them are starting to become more and more social.
But one is very, very feral.
She won't stop hissing when I go to touch her, and she won't let me go near her head.

Not only that, she often meows for no reason.
I have to separate her from her brothers and sister because it's the only way she will come around.

Her brothers and sisters are already starting to play with each other, and become more comfortable with their environment, but this kitten is showing no progress at all. (I know it's only been 2 days, but still..)

Basically, I am worried she will never come around.
I try and sit down and pet her in her little cat tent thing, but she backs up and hisses.
I can't even pick her up without her scratching me or trying to bite me.

I am turning on the radio at night, and doing everything I think I'm supposed to do.

Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would check out the following website: Taming Ferals - UrbanCatLeague
It is about taming ferals.

If it were me, I would quit trying to touch her and go back to the basics-food. Earn her trust through food. It sounds like you are able to give her her own room and that is good. Do not free feed her, but put her on a schedule, 2-3 times a day. When you go to feed her, set her food out and sit a little bit away and wait. If she eats in front of you-great. Begin to move the feeding dish closer and closer to you until it is right next to you or in your lap. Initiate touching while she is eating-she will probably hiss at first, but eventually, she will become more tolerant.

If she won't even eat in front of you, then take the food away and try again at the next feeding. Eventually her hunger will win out over her fear of you.

Also, put one of your dirty shirts in her room so she gets used to your smell.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think she is THAT feral.
She is just scared.

I brought her into the bathroom with me, and had some one on one confrontation.
She freaked out for awhile, but I somehow got her in the bath tub with a blanket to lay on, and she relaxed a bit, and I slowly started petting her.

30min later, she was in my arms, falling asleep.

She doesn't hiss at me nearly as much now, but she still meows.
I think she wants to be with her brothers and sisters.
I'm not gonna put her in there until she stops hissing 100%, like the other ones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.