Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very curious to know how others manage. I thought I'd be such a lost case trying to trap my cats in the carrier to take them to a vet, that I've been using vets that do home visits. However, where I am, vets that make house calls do so because they're either just starting and don't have a clientele, or they're bad and therefore don't have a clientele. I'm tired of rotating mediocre vets, so I was wondering if I'd be able to trap my cats more than once in the carrier. I mean, once they know what it means, they'll never go into the carrier again??

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just gently scuff my cat by the back of his neck with one hand and place my other hand under his tommy and put him in. It also helps to get a larger cat carrier. I use one for a small dog.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cats have short memories, more or less. So I believe you'll be able to get them into the cc more than once. Do make sure that the time lag between when you put your cat in the cc and the time she/he arrives at the vet is as short as possible.
I leave out the cat carrier 24x7 so Ritz thinks its part of the furniture. She did not react well to the last time she was in the cat carrier (my error), but as soon as I let her out (after her vet check), she was headbutting me in a nice way.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I guess i am very lucky, Banjo LOVES car rides and going to the vet. In fact all I have to do is pickup his carrier and he runs over to me and wants IN! lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And then they have to sit in the carrier for a long time to wait for their turn at the vet?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I leave the carrier and crate in the crafting room with soft blankets in them so the cats climb into them on their own often.

When I need them in it, I just lift them and put them in. They don't struggle since they are used to them.

I have set vet appointments so it's not like I have to sit and wait for HOURS.

At my old vet I got there 5-10 minutes before my appointment and left them in the car with the heat/air on while I went in to tell them I was there. When they were ready for them I went to the car to get them. THey just passed through the waiting room on the way to exam.

The new vet is cat only so when i took MowMOw last time it was no big deal. I took him right in and he sat quietly in his carrier with my fingers through the opening stroking his head. We waited for no more than 5 minutes and went right in.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
favorite food+ small room(bathroom)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I also leave the crate out where they have access to it all the time. Kobi is the only one who fights me, so when I have to crate him I put the crate in the bathroom and then bring him in there and close the door. This way, if I'm not successful on the first try and he escapes my grip there's no where for him to hide. I will typically put a few treats in the carrier when dealing with him.

The girls are both easy to get in so I don't worry about them escaping and just pick them up and pop them in wherever the carrier happens to be.

My vet does not have a waiting room, you check in at the desk and they take you straight to an exam room. The room I was in with Maggie last week had a nice big bay window with a cushioned window seat and Maggie actually enjoyed looking out the window while waiting for the tech to come get her for a blood draw.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My vet does not have a waiting room, you check in at the desk and they take you straight to an exam room. The room I was in with Maggie last week had a nice big bay window with a cushioned window seat and Maggie actually enjoyed looking out the window while waiting for the tech to come get her for a blood draw.

Wow, that sounds nice! Is it a cat-only vet?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Cats have short memories, more or less.
Not Missy. She remembers things that have distressed her. If it doesn't cause problems, perhaps they don't remember. But then stray cats remember their benefactors. Why bother remembering thing if it isn't necessary? How short is a shert memory, any way?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Leaving the carrier out is a really good idea. I also put soft blankets in ours and a long time ago I used to randomly throw treats in there so that the cats would randomly walk past and find them. Luckily, I have never had problems with the carrier, and my cats all don't give much of a problem going in. Magneto, however, wails and cries the whole time. He seems to be claustrophobic with the dark plastic walls so when he rides in the car I use a small wire dog kennel instead.

Like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61-ND+AlwnL.jpg

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, from now on the carrier is another cozy corner in the living room. I really want to be able to choose the vet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts