Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice concerning my two cats and traveling, if anyone has any experience with this, let me know.

On Friday evening, I'll be going to my mom's house for Christmas (about 30 minutes away), while my boyfriend goes to visit his family. I'll be there until the 28th. My cat, Pixel, always comes with me... she's shy, skittish, and has a heart condition that we give her pills for every 8 hours. We stay in the spare bedroom at my mom's house, and she usually spends most of her time in that room because we have a LOT of relatives that fly in to stay with us, and the chaos is overwhelming. There's also a lot of kids, and no one at my mom's can really be trusted to keep doors shut, so I have to be careful and keep her in the bedroom most of the time.

The problem is that this year, we adopted a second cat, Molly. Molly is a little less than a year old and very very rambunctious. She gets into everything, runs around like crazy, etc. Sometimes she bothers Pixel a little too much, and they really appreciate having separate spaces here at the apartment. My boyfriend doesn't want me to bring Molly with me - he wants her to stay with a friend (the one we adopted Molly from), who has multiple cats. He doesn't think there is enough space for both of them, and I agree. The spare bedroom is pretty small, and it's close quarters for eight days for two cats (and me). I can let them out to play occasionally, but again, I have to be careful with so many people in the house. My concern is that I don't want Molly to feel like she's being abandoned, and I am also worried that this will negatively affect the relationship between Molly and Pixel. They are at a point where they will sleep on the same bed, and they can handle being near each other (as long as molly is being good)... I don't want to separate them for 8 days and then have to start over with introductions, which were pretty difficult. Molly will also be around several other cats if she doesn't come with me, and I'm not sure how this will change things either.

Any advice on what I should do? Do I bring them both, or separate them? What would be best for them?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I think you need to focus more on Pixel right now, than Molly. Pixel needs special care to keep her stress levels down and get her meds on time. Can you leave Molly at your apartment and have someone come in daily to care for her? I agree that Molly should not go with you to your Parent's home, being cooped up in a small room with a hi-energy kitten is just asking for her to go stir-crazy.

Whether you keep Molly at your place or let her go to your friend's, you will have to do a re-intro with the two cats. However...with Molly at your friend's multiple cat home...she will be innured to the sight/sounds of lots of cats and when you bring her back home she shouldn't be so concerned about Pixel, though Pixel will have to take the brunt of the re-intro since she just had a week of 'isolation'.

I always prefer to keep my cats in their own home and have friends/neighbors check in on them. I think you situation is unique, in that Pixel required dedicated care. Best of luck, but if you do what is right for Pixel, I can't see how you could go wrong.
Heidi

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I agree with Heidi, Pixel should go with you but not Molly. I also think it would be better for Molly to stay at your apt. Since you'll only be 30 minutes away, is there any way you can check on her daily or alternate with a friend?

Cat's really don't feel abandoned. They don't have much sense of time. If Molly gets to see you every day, she'll be just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts