Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am traveling International with my kitten of 4.5 months. She is quite small and I know the trip will be very hard on her and i expect her to be upset. I have a vet appt for the day after i arrive to my destination. However My question is this. because i have never flown international with a cat should i ask for a sedative for her to help her sleep as I dont want her to go to the bathroom while flying or getting sick... I hope someone can give me some information about their experiences.

Regards,

Stahlblu
(Pet of Isis the kitten)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Talk to your vet. Most will NOT recommend sedating any pet during any travel where there will be a lack of constant ovservation because even sedated...a pet can/will eliminate their waste and be able to vomit and you do NOT want a sedated animal among those fluids and possibly aspirating (bad-pneumonia, worst-choking to death) because they are unable to clear their airways while sedated.
We have had several members travel internationally with their pets in the recent past, so do a quick search and see what you can pull up. I recall several discussions and links to airlines and/or proper pet carriers.
Best of luck with traveling with your kitten.
Heidi

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
As Heidi said. vets typically do not prescribe a sedative for cats while traveling. Some will prescribe a tranquilizer, but that really isn't recommended either. Spraying the carrier with Feliway (synthetic calming pheromone) may be helpful.

Have you researched your destination? Many countries will not allow animals in without a lengthy quarantine period. And the same may apply when going back to your home country. There are usually medical requirements (vaccinations, clean bill of health etc.) that must be met within a certain timeframe of travel...for example you may need a health certificate from your vet issued no more than 3 days prior to your travel date. There's a lot to learn before transporting a pet across borders...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys she is traveling with me in the plane not in the cargo area... I wouldnt allow them to send a small kitten like her in a cargo area. Im from the Usa lol I know the restrictions it isnt the issue that i am having that is all taken care of.... the problem is giving her a sedative for travel to get her through most of the beginning of the flight.... She is a good traveler and never whines she just sleeps after 45 minutes... I am just curious if anyone has traveled internationally with their cats and to see what their experience has been... thanks guys

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I think Jade (Jade or Jadedea(sp?) Jade) has flown international (Japan or Korea) with their cat, and Sungeun with her cat from Japan. I'm certain another member did w/in the last year, though I cannot recall her name. I wouldn't tranquilize or anything, just give the kitty a large fluffy towel to lay on and help sop-up any 'accidents'. Carry-on an extra towel and a large ziplock or plastic bag to contain a soiled towel in if you need to make a change to remove anything odiferous. I would not take sedative advice from anyone but a veterinarian on this matter, even if someone did sedate their cat and everything was fine. What is fine for one cat may not be fine for another and there could have been specific reasons the vet had for that particular sedation that do not apply to your kitty.
So, I'd speak to your vet about it and if they do not feel it is warranted, I wouldn't pursue it.
heidi

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes u r right. However the problem in Egypt is I don't really trust the vets here I will call my vet bak in the states and find out. Thanks for the reply! It helped alot!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've flown several times with cats, but not internationally. How they travel is up to the individual cat. Mine have about the same behaviour as if traveling in a car - they ride quietly. The only problem I've ever experienced was with Methos who had some ear issues at the time- he calmed down after I got him to chew on some jerky. (same effect as us chewing gum) I made the assumption that his ears hurt.
I've never had to sedate any of my cats while traveling. Take some practice runs in the car to get them used to it. Just remember that you can't let them out for a potty break so withhold liquids 6 hrs before. Use a few ice chips to prevent thirst instead. Take away solid food 8 hrs before, too. Slip them a non-flavored jerky or some sort of chewy treat to chew during take-off.
Good Luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for tips on feeding as I was curious about that. She loves to ride in the car and can't meow. She can cry but not meow strange situation with her. Anyway I like ur ideas regarding no food or water 6 & 8 hours before flight! It is 11hour flight so i don't want her to get dehydrated on the way so I'll try the small ice chips idea. Because 11 hour flight plus 2 hourS before and after at airport will be hard on her I know! Thanks so much

·
Registered
261 Posts
yes ive flown from japan to arizona and then arizona to d.c. just do a search for my name. ive responded to another person who had questions flying from korea back to the states.

hth!!

if you have any more questions and post them and i dont respond within 24 hrs just pm me!!

thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
stahlblu said:
It is 11hour flight so i don't want her to get dehydrated on the way so I'll try the small ice chips idea.
you might not be able to do that. we had to chuck her food and water because we were traveling international and there was a risk at carrying something from japan to the states, its that fruit, exotic animal law thing. you could probably ask for some water in a plastic cup when your on the plane and your kitty might drink that.

bringing any wet cat food might bother others as the smell is strong (thats if your able to sneak that past the airport folks). my cat actually loves beef jerky and im sure if i carried some of that she would of eaten it. but she was too busy being scared to do anything! i think she peed once lol because there was this weird smell in her cage.
the flight was like 12 hours. she spent her time sleeping and looking scared. when we got to our parents house she ran under the bed and about 1-2 hours later she came out to eat, drink and use the bathroom and she was back to her old self. shes a trooper!

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jade thanks so much. for all the posts and ye i guess your right. Luckily my girl eats only hard food. because I wont allow her to stay on soft food. anyway good ideas and ye i figured shewill sleep alot and be stressed. Overal she is sooooo easy going and doesnt care what you do to her as long as you give her snuggles and kisses that is all she cares about.I appreciate all the post an the threads to review... Ill read them and if i have questions Ill message again thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone,

The trip was successful. No sedation just a sweet little sleeping spoiled kitty on the plane who made everyone fall in love with her. anyway we got up and left at 5am for the airport Egypt time 6 hours ahead of NYC. Anyway she was in her crate from 11pm NYC time and didnt get to NYC until 3 and didnt get to hotel till 430pm... WoW was it a mess i thought for sure she would pee however she held pee and poo till 5pm and still hasnt pooed but we are at the hotel relaxing and waiting till tomorrow for tha lst leg of our flight. Anyway she didnt cry I covered her because it was quite cool and I wanted her warm. she did come out and sit on my lap and my neighbors lap for about 45 minutes. she was wonderful like she never left home.

I love this cat..... anywa I will post pictures of her sleeping on the plane tomorrow when i arrive.

·
Registered
261 Posts
stah, im glad everything worked out well. yeah i think my cat did the same thing. held her #1 and #2. she was back to normal 24hrs after arriving at our final destination. hopefully your kitty continues to be ok.

good luck!

cant wait for the photos!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will definately get them up :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts