Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am going to my friend's mom's house in the Hamptons (ooh la la!) at the end of the month for 3-4 days and I don't want to leave my kitten at home because I don't totally trust my roommate with him. He is 12 weeks old and I just got him on Saturday.

Have any of you tried traveling with your kitten? What have you all done for the litter box situation? Do you think it's better to keep an eye on him in the Hamptons, or should I just take my chances with my crazy roommate?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Hit the grocery store, near the litter you will find disposable litter boxes. They are a plastic liner with litter inside and have a peel off paper top. I know shoprite used to sell them when i lived in NJ. We used them for our drive to Oregon.

You can put him in a small pet crate for the drive and set him up with his litter box in your room there. To make it tidier for your hosts I would suggest ..asking if it's ok to bring him and then laying down a sheet under the litterbox to catch any tracked litter. You can put his food and water bowl on another to make sure nothing spills on their carpets/floor.

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
If you're going on a mini-vacation, people are going to be coming in and out, partying, a bit careless, forgetting there's a little kitty around, etc., so I don't know that I'd bring a kitten into that environment. For example, if she gets out, that's not where you live, you have to go home. Or if she gets hurt, you don't know a local vet. I think she'd be okay for three days with the roommate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree that the kitten would probably be better off at home, depending on what you mean by not trusting your roommate. Do you think your roommate will be mean? Let the kitten out? Forget to feed it? If I had just gotten a kitten, I would feel anxious about leaving my new baby with someone else, but for a few days your kitten should be fine.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
kittens at that age are very adaptable. maybe if you don't trust your room mate you can ask a trusted friend/ family member to foster it in their home a few days. supply all the necessities..ect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you really don't trust your roommate and your hosts are okay with you bringing kitty, is there a safe room you can create for her? Maybe she shouldn't have the run of this vacation house but just a room where she gets to hang out. That way you can avoid anything happening to her. I understand where you're coming from with not trusting the roommate. Mine is irresponsible with her own life and her own dog. She looked after my cats for 11 days when I was out of the country. She swore up and down that they'd be fine. My brother came the last weekend and confirmed they were nuts (for lack of attention) and the litter had been left unscooped for days. Ick. They're alive though. 3 days isn't much. As long as you trust this person to give food and make sure there's a water source, kitty will be fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have you thought of boarding him?I do that with Boo if I'll more then a night since I don't trust my parent to take care of/not put Boo outside.Most vets and some groomers board cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts