Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short :D My hubs and I are always on the go and now that I have a little kitten i'm not sure the best way to handle these situations. We are into 4 wheeling and we are always going to different events and traveling all over FL. I didn't have pets for this reason but my little guy was a rescue so I am trying to adjust the best I can. Anyhow- should I bring him with me and let him stay in the camper/rv or would he be happier at home? We will be gone from Fri-Sunday this coming weekend. I want to bring him but i'm not sure if that's best for him. The camper is not a luxury camper (no windows- just an enclosed trailer we built into a living space) but it would suffice for him to hangout in for the day and then I can be with him at night. Also with this being a motorsport event there may be loud vehicles and i'm sure he can hear them thru our camper walls and i'm concerned that may really freak him out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ps: little guy is about 9 weeks old and he definetly is a people cat. He always wants to be around me and follows me thru the house :D This is why I don't want to leave him.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The noise alone might scare the whiskers off of him :( but the plus is he'll be with you at night. If it was me...I would leave him home. I wouldn't want him esposed to loud noise for a long period of time. Maybe there is a neighbor you trust that can look in on him while your away. Make sure he's being fed, has water, clean litter

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the lack of windows and loud noises would be scary and confusing. If you plan to keep him then I would let him adjust to you being gone for weekends. Make his home weekend safe and interesting while he waits your return.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'd bring him.

Kittens are extremely adaptable, and if this is something you'll always be doing regularly then this is the time to get him used to it. You'd be amazed what they can become accustomed to if you do it right :) Muffin still loves going to the pet store on his leash, and that is purely because i took him all the time when he was a kitten.

To make things easier on him get him used to his kennel so he can safely travel while you're driving to your destination. He should not be loose in the camper while you're driving, that would be pretty dangerous. The kennel should be a small one as well, not a big one that could hold a litter box. The goal is to keep him fairly contained and not running around.

Have his litterbox in an enclosed area (ie, in the trailer...I'd use the bathroom just to have 2 doors between him and 'freedom'), and put him in there when you stop of breaks, making sure he goes if possible.

I would get him used to wearing a harness and leash, that way he could go exploring outside, safely, and get some exercise at the same time. Again, this is the time to get him used to those sort of things!

As far as the noise goes, don't make a huge deal about it, act like nothing is wrong and he'll start taking his cues from you. I always used to practice loud things at home (dropping a pot, ect) and then ask my cats in an excited voice "What was that!?" Now if something loud happens they are cautious, but curious and will come see what clumsy mum dropped. Same thing applies to this. Act interested and excited about the noise, if you aren't worried then he'll be braver.

Most cats would be terrified at those sort of events...but most cats grow up in quiet homes, don't leave home often, ect. Quite a few of our other members have taught their cats to accept all sorts of things from happily riding on a train, living part time at another home, having strange cats over regularly, ect. If you start when they're young it will just become normal.

Other than that keep his routine as normal as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies! I think i'm going to bring him. I just can't see leaving him at such a young age and all alone for 3 days. Thank you for the tips librarychick! I will do exactly what you said...i'm off to buy a harness tonight so he can come outside and play. I bought a large baking pan for a portable litter box and i plan to plop him in there whenever we make a pit stop. The lack of windows and the possibility of loud noise does make me nervous but I agree that he'll just learn to adjust to these things since we do things like this often...and if he wants to be with mom he'll need to learn. I will post an update on Monday and let anyone who is interested know how it went!

This scenario has also prompted me to discuss a second baby with the hubs. I figure if he had a friend to stay home with being alone for three days would be no biggie. We'll see where i get with that lol.

*Great suggestion gizmo with the neighbor but unfortunately i just don't have anyone who can help me so he would just be on his own.

*Riverwolf I do agree with you however I really want him to learn to travel with me so I figure if we start now we can get off on the right foot. I suppose if he is terrified the entire time and hates it we won't be traveling anymore. I just hope he doesn't hold a grudge against me or possibly get so freaked out he doesn't trust me :( Fingers crossed all goes well!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think cats can be adaptable so long as it's something they're exposed to at a young age. Some cats (not mine) are used to frequent travel in a camper/RV... I've seen a cat traveling in a large RV - he didn't even bolt when the doors were open, just stayed inside the camper, and he would sunbathe on top of the dash during the day. He probably spent enough time in the RV to consider it a 2nd home.

As for the loud noises at a motorsport event, now that could potentially be an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Please make sure Chopper is 'chipped' and even though he'll have a harness...please invest in a kitty safety collar that you can put a tag on with your phone number...I have also always added the magic word 'Reward' just in case...
Also is he up to date for shots?
Indoor only cats don't need them as
often...
But indoor/outdoor cats are exposed to a lot more things...

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I'd bring him too. If you're doing a lot of travelling getting him used to it will be important at a young age if you ever want to have him as a travel buddy in the future. He sounds like a laid back kitten and ones that grow up around noise don't usually mind it as they get older.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use white noise at night to 'blend' out noise from outside (and from Mr Tyrion hehe) during the night.This stops me startling awake. I wonder of leaving some music or a radio on in the RV during the day would help. It might help blend out the sudden noises from the motor racing.
I'd also use Feliway spray or plug in if possible in the RV during the day to help ease the stress.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately our RV isn't a big fancy motor coach...as I mentioned earlier it doesn't have windows so unfortunately he won't be sunbathing but i'm hoping with his toys, his food, and his litter box he will be OK for the daytime while we're out at the races. Also we have a generator that runs our rig and that may help drown out the sound of the motors in the trucks going by. It will just be a constant motor running.

He is up-to-date on his shots...he's only rec'd the first set because of his age but i presume that makes us up-to-date. He is not chipped. I did buy him a kitten safe collar with a bell and name tag with my name and phone number on it. I am still going to get the harness.

Other than that i'm not sure what else I can do. I am going to insist the husband parks in the most quiet area he can and I plan to just keep a close eye on him and spend as much time with him as I am able to.

pkbshrew- i will try that...I don't have a white noise machine but maybe bring my alarm clock and just turn it on a nice soothing station?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Most foster kittens I've had are not stressed out at all in the car (they'd usually just fall asleep after sniffing around a bit). So I think if you get him used to traveling at a young age, he should adapt fine (not to mention, he should be much easier to transport to/from the vet as he gets older and not flip out like many older cats do). He looks quite at home in the car in your avatar pic!

I like the idea of white noise to drown out any loud noises. If you don't have one, maybe a radio on soft music?

I'd just be super careful entering/exiting the camper to make sure he doesn't run out since you don't have any windows to see what he's up to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks emilyatl! I am considering getting a kiddy gate for the camper! That might be the answer! That way I can open the door but little guy can't sneak around me with his faster than light speed lol :) We'll see what I get figure out!

Thanks again everyone! Fingers crossed he has an enjoyable time!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Would you consider getting the kitten a companion? Our kittens (now 8 months) meow quite a bit in the car and seem confused the few times we have taken them to the vet in a car. Once they are not moving and in the vet office, they are not as freaked out as our last cat was when we took her to the vet. Since they don't travel often or far, maybe that is the reason. They are also confined to the carrier in the car, so that might stress them out more. Keep the forum informed of how it goes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!!

My wonderful loving grandmother volunteered to babysit my little angel! So no more worrying about him escaping, getting hurt, or have the bejesus scared out of him! She has an 11 year old kitty who is very shy, the type you never even see. I'm hoping she accepts my little man and all goes well! Thanks again all for the advice. I had high hopes on bringing him but it's just to dangerous or an event. However, he will be going on my next rip with me but we will be in a quite cabin in the WV hills so he'll be a happy camper then! :catmilk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Lotu! It's funny you say that because YES...i really think these weekend outings while mom is away would be so much better for my little guy if he had a companion! I mentioned this to my husband and he didn't say no but he isn't really on-board either :? I plan to keep my eyes out for another rescue and possibly just bring her home one day and he will love her so much he couldn't say no hehe :D

As far as car rides go he does great but i let him roam. The only no-no spot is on mom's floor board because of obvious reasons. I know this isn't probably a great idea but when I first rescued him we didn't have a carrier or anything so his first 4 or 5 car rides he just stayed in the passenger seat and roamed the cubby holes in my center console. He's done great ever since. I try to take him on all short trips I go on so he gets used to the car. He now adventures to the back seat and up on the back ledge by the trunk so he can see out the window. All in all though he does really well in the car!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Hmm, TBH I'd rather take him than leave him with you mum and her 11 yr old cat. It's pretty likely the kitten will bother the bejeezus out of the older kitty and drive everyone nuts.

As far as car rides goes it's really important to have the kitten in a kennel. Aside from the possible distracted driving tickets ('cause you never know what baby will get into, and sitting on your lap is not ok while you're driving), if you were in an accident a kitten loose in the car is NOT going to be ok. Even if the accident didn't cause harm broken, glass, loud noises, ect would be extremely unsafe. A kennel will keep the kitten safe during an accident, and in any aftermath. maybe it isn't the most fun way to do things, but it's definitely the safest!

·
Registered
448 Posts
We adopted sisters from the same litter. I had only agreed to one kitten but my husband and daughter thought a 2nd would be good. I started doing research and thinking about it and decided to take the plunge. I began to think of how scary it would be for a kitten who had been taken from her mom a week or two before and now leaving 5 siblings to come to our house alone. A few days before adopting, we decided to get a sibling and ended up with a sister. They adjusted to our home immediately and it has been wonderful...less stressful for them, I think. They entertain each other, but also interact with us. If you do decide to get a second, maybe you could try to foster one that would make a good candidate giving your husband a chance to see what it is like and if it really is a happy situation for your current little one. Glad to see everything seems to be working out :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kitty is home safe. He did bother grandma and her kitty but they handled it ok. He is getting so rambunctious these days! Grandma's kitty DID NOT take to my little one...she hissed at him the whole time. He seems a little different then when I dropped him off which makes me concerned but I think he's also getting older and doesn't need mom so much :'(.

It's tough to say what would have been best for him because the event was quite wild! Lots of loud noises and party people everywhere all the time! I think next time I will take my chances and bring him with!

Lotu- I think you made the right choice. I would have done the same thing given the option! I am considering getting another one. Fostering is a great idea...i've never heard of that before. I would just be so sad if the new kitty didn't work out and I had to take him back to a shelter or wherever they come from. I get attached to animals so quickly.

Thanks all for the advice! All in all everything worked out just fine and some good lessons learned!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts