Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone travel with their kitties? i travel a lot with work, and have always left them at home with someone coming over once a day. but i get sooooo sad when i have to leave them, and it's hard to concentrate on work when i am away. i can never go out and enjoy myself because i am always trying to get stuff done so i can come home early.

this next jaunt is toronto for 3 weeks. i just got a new kitten, and she's had some health issues. i'd rather have her with me so i can keep and eye on her (and for snuggles.)

just looking for any info you guys might have... :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, I've travelled with my cats. I love having them with me. Chester doesn't enjoy to travel but both Ben and Lidia don't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm scared to travel with my cats because while my Aunt was traveling by road from Florida to Tennessee, they didn't have their cat in a carrier, and when they opened the door to get out for a rest stop, the cat ran out and they couldn't catch it. That would be sad. Only thing that eases my mind about traveling with Misty to the vet is that she never leaves the carrier...unless my mom takes her out to hold her after her incesant meowing.... :x My mom thinks it's funny because here I am, driving, saying "don't let her out...mom....no....don't let her out....she's ok, she'll get over it...mom...MOM!" and my mom just takes her out and holds her, claws flying everywhere....ugh, parents.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You should always have your cat in a carrier while travelling because it only takes a second for the cat to jump out and disappear.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
...Or fly through the windshield in an accident. They are much more protected in a carrier, and the carrier should be fastened with a seatbelt. I tried to take Samhain out once because she wouldn't stop crying....and she PEED on me! Hehe.

tanyuh

·
Registered
179 Posts
...which all of this reminds me...I'm going on a 3 day vacation in Gatlinburg this October, and I know we can take our small house dogs, and have someone look after our outside dogs, and we'll leave Sadie inside....but....there's one more problem....Misty. What in the world can I do with her? Can't afford to board her, Can't leave her in the house with Sadie - they'd kill each other. Should I bring her and just leave her in her carrier in the hotel room the whole time? That would be mean :( What should I do?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't have my own yet, but just watched a friends 6 month old and had to drive with him in my car for 5 hours so their vet suggested & gave us sleeping pills - only half a tab, but man did it knock him out and gave em (not to offend asians) like chinese eyes that looked really weird. He woke up a couple times getting pretty vocal so I put a towel over his carrier cage and he slept more, then even when we arrived and I let him out he slept 99% of the rest of the day and night and wasn't back to normal til next day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys are making me laugh.... :lol:

i have to take mabel and lo on the train to toronto for 5 hours. i was wondering if they'd be ok to stay in their carriers that long (no potty break.) i am going to the vet sunday, so i'll ask her about sedation. i don't think the kitten will need it, but my 3-yr-old will.

i know cats don't like to leave their 'homes' in general, but i figure i should start the little one out early, and the older one will just have to adjust. :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
marwood the vet said kittys are actually more restless in a carrier cage for long time and older ones will settle down and just sit/lay better. Kinda like when you go to the pound and kittys are scratching/bitting the cage to get out and older ones are calm hanging out.

you probably already know, but be sure to put a couple towels on the bottom of carrier - makes it more cumfy for em and if they do sum "business" it'll help cleanup. vet suggested not much food prior to help that issue.

these pills suppose to give and wait an hour to take effect, this kitty was gone within 30 min. :roll: he was so quiet sleeping for like 2-3 hours without a peep I was worried he better wake up or I'll kill that vet!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never had a cat "eliminate" in their carriers...they seem to just hold it til they bust a gut. What I would recommend is before you go on your trip, don't feed them for a couple hours. Let them drink has much water as they want, but make sure you get them to use the litterbox, 1 & 2 before you leave. You might wanna ask your vet about a kitty sedative or tranquilizer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts