Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, i thought id come here for a bit of advice on travelling with my cat. we're moving from montreal to saskatchewan (a good 4 day drive, with 3 overnight stop-overs) my vet has told me its not uncommon and my cat, charley, will get over the ordeal in a few days. BUT if any of you have any advice or suggestions on travelling with a cat id really love to hear it!! thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the boards! It all depends on how your cat normally does in the car. Is he usually pretty calm, or does he freak out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, hes never done any long journeys, but he likes short ones. my husband used to bring him in the car to come pick me up from work! it was only about a 30 min journey there and back though. we're going to take him out tonight for a couple of hours, just to practice longer drives. but generally he's fine, and we dont keep him in a box, he just lays on the back seat.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine :) Especially since he doesn't mind the car. My mom's cat likes to ride in the car, too, and it makes it so much easier to take him places. Also, my newest addition, Boris, has been moved around his whole life :roll: His old owners moved him to Oregon and back, which is at least a 2 day drive. He seems fine,now, so I'm sure things will go smoothly. I would suggest having a leash and harness on hand for the trip, and of course, make sure he has tags on :D Good Luck!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds to me like he'll be fine.

But, when I traveled by plane from NJ to AZ eleven years ago, I had to give our Tigger (she's now moved on to a higher place) :cry: a tranquilizer we obtained from the vet. Not my first choice but she hated the car so much that I knew she'd have a hard time with the plane.

She did fairly well on the trip and I attribute that to the help of a tranquilizer. Hopefully you won't neet to use one but it sure wouldn't hurt to have one on hand just in case he starts getting upset after a day or two.

One never knows with a feline...... :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine. I've made numerous moves with my cats, and they were great with it. They did a bit of meowing in the beginning in their carriers, but as we drove, they quieted down and slept. We made sure to stop plenty of times to allow them access to litter and food and water.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll be moving from Michigan to Flordia in less than two weeks. I am moving three cats and a turtle. My vet was against tranqualizing them. I am driving start through with many stops for litter and water. Plus to let the turtle get in some water.

I'll let you know how it goes :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so we had a trial run...if you can call it that. we planned a drive, and we took charley the cat with us to get him more used to being in the car, and 30 mins in he peed all in his cage, and lay in it.....it was messy, cause he wasnt locked in the cage, he likes to walk around the back of the car, so when he came to sit on my lap i thought he was loving me, until the pee started soaking through that is. so we had turn around and come home.

im having second thoughts.....he might go live at my mother in laws.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yuck...pee accidents are pretty bad :? I'm sorry it didn't go well....I was really hoping it would. I don't think you should give up yet, though. Have you asked your vet about tranquilizers for Charley? It might be worth a try. Or even an over-the-counter calming medicine, like Feliway or Rescue Remedy. Good Luck :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i talked to the vet about sedatives/tranquillizers, but she was very against the idea. she said that its a bad idea because cats have a hard time regulating their body temperature....and being sedated doesnt help them. she thinks it might just be more work and concern during the trip than if he was just in the car with us.....if we can get him comfortable that is. maybe we'll have another trial run soon. ill keep you posted! thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Maybe wait a couple of hours after feed and drink before the trip? Then the cat might do its business before you go. Hope the next trial will work better!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm sorry things didn't go well. I hope the next trial run goes better for you. I hope my move goes smoothly.....as I have no option. There is NO way I culd leave them. They are the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how long is that drive fbodgrl??? do you have overnight stops? ill be wanting to know how that goes!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The drive is about 24 hours ( 1 day). It will be a little longer due to making stops for the cats and turtle. I'm making the drive straight. No overnight stops. The vet said it would be better fo rthem. The quicker the better. So I may be tortured :( but they will get there as quick as possible!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just finished a 40 hour drive from North Carolina to the Californian edge of Nevada. Both my cats were fine as long as we stopped every hour to an hour and a hal and let them have a 5 minute break to use the box/eat/drink etc.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Payge said:
I just finished a 40 hour drive from North Carolina to the Californian edge of Nevada. Both my cats were fine as long as we stopped every hour to an hour and a hal and let them have a 5 minute break to use the box/eat/drink etc.
Did you stop overnight?????? I was planning on stopping every three to four hours. Maybe I should make it more frequent. I'm hoping they don't have any accidents ion the carriers. I want them to be as comfortable as possible. I have heard alot of times they won't eat and drink when it is offered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts