Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every i searched all over the net but was not able to find any good and simple treat recipe for cats on raw diet. i will be bringing home a persian kitten soon, i just want to treat them when i trim there nails or while training please help me guys hope to get reply soon thanks.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can still use regular treats. It's all about quantity, one or two won't hurt them or affect their diet.

For treats my raw fed kitties get; bites of bread, cooked meats, sausage, cheese, banana (for Jitzu...silly kitty, lol), potato chips (Doran), and Torri likes duck jerky made for dogs. They also get freeze dried chicken, duck, and liver (Torri's the only one who'll eat the liver though). I buy tiny sample-bags of grain free kibbles and use those for treats too. Muffin won't eat them since he was never weaned onto kibble, but for the other cats they're cookies. They only get 5-10 kibbles total, maybe once every two weeks. Something like that won't have any effect on their diet.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The bigger issues is how MUCH you give, not so much WHAT you give. Obviously there are things you should never give them even a tiny bite of, but for the most part as long as you stick to meat you'll be fine.

In the beginning especially stick to small pieces, cat-bite sized (aka about the size of a kibble or a pea). Once you know what they like you can give 2-3 of those at a time. But my cats don't get treats every day. It's not necessary, and it's not like I have cookies, cake, chocolate bars, ect every day (*sigh* oh Christmas time, you make me a liar, lol). TBH our kitties get treats whenever we eat the things they like best.

We had salmon for dinner the other day, each cat got a bite. When we have mashed potatoes Jitzu gets a bite. When I eat a banana at home Jitzu gets a bite. When I eat my favorite chips Doran gets his little chippies. There's not hard and fast rule about what we give or how often, we just keep the amount fairly low and think of it as a 'treat'.

They do also get special dinners :) For Christmas they get quail.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Sameer, IMO I would not be giving cats those chicken sausages loaded with salt, etc. Stick to a healthy cat treat or just cook the plain chicken pieces like I said above. If you are going to go with 'people food' I would go toward the tuna instead of the sausages.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We haven't started a raw diet yet but hopefully will soon. I feed my girl freeze dried salmon cubes or shrimp as a treat and will continue once she switches over to the raw diet. Freeze dried meats/fish contain nothing other than the protein source. No additives at all but she goes nuts over them.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
On the tuna in brine...
Plain tuna packed in water, is ok as a very occasional treat...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Sameer, IMO I would not be giving cats those chicken sausages loaded with salt, etc. Stick to a healthy cat treat or just cook the plain chicken pieces like I said above. If you are going to go with 'people food' I would go toward the tuna instead of the sausages.
Ohhh..sausages, no more sausages for ET, he vomitted real bad over 9days from just an approx 1/4" sausage. Till now, ET still loved his baked chicken very very much. I don't understand him, he didn't like his boiled chicken anymore but loved this baked ones, they are both chicken, just cooked differently :(.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts