Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I just love this board; everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable!

As background - my husband and I have 2 new 5 month old kittens, Spencer and Lily. I have a question about treats. I'd like to be able to give our kittens treats occasionally - to reward them after clipping their nails, etc., and just because we love them. :) Unfortunately, I CANNOT find a treat that Spencer will eat! I've tried Innova Evo treats, Wellness jerky treats (both flavors), and Halo Liv-A-Littles salmon (which is very expensive since it is really just a container of freeze dried salmon chunks). Lily loves them all (especially that freeze dried salmon!)...Spencer won't touch any of them. He always comes running when I give her a treat, sniffs the one I offer him, and then stares at me like "What's this thing and where's the real treat?" I don't get it, because there doesn't seem to be a flavor of meat he doesn't like, since he eats it all in his canned food.

Just wondering, is there a (not terrible junk food) treat often accepted by finicky cats that I haven't tried? Or could I make my own? The ONLY treat he'll accept is a couple squirts of Cat Sip milk for cats, but I'd like to find something non-liquid.

Or maybe some cats are just anti treats? hahaha. :wink

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The two treats my girls love are (1) Pure Bites, which are freeze-dried treats (chicken, whitefish, shrimp and liver flavors), and (2) Go/Now grain-free treats. Both are healthy and relatively inexpensive. As for the Pure Bites, neither of my girls will touch the liver flavor, but they like the others, especially the whitefish.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think some cats are just anti-treats! Apollo tends to like whatever I give him (his favorites though are the Wellness treats) but Athena absolutely refuses to touch any treat I try to offer.

I have yet to find any commercial treat she'll eat (wellness and ziwi peak are the only ones I've been able to find and I can't give her treats containing grain). She will however happily eat a piece of raw or cooked chicken, so making your own might be a viable option if you need some kind of reward for nail clipping and stuff. Maybe try some straight chicken meat? if you don't want to give it raw, you can sear it in a frying pan (with just water, no oil! and make sure it's cooled off before feeding of course) or buy some pre-cooked unseasoned/unsalted chicken if you can find that. Little chunks of chicken should hopefully make a treat he cannot refuse!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions!! :) I hadn't heard of those brands before, and the chicken is a great idea...I doubt he can refuse that! Although, sometimes he surprises me...;) hahaha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts