Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me set the stage for this thread: Murphy, our brown mackerel tabby, is very, very vocal around the other cats. Especially when the Christmas tree was up, he would go sit in the corner behind the tree and trill at Misha, who was usually hiding under the tree. Why? Is this just his way of communicating with Misha? There's never any response from Misha. She usually just picks up and moves on to the next hiding spot. And he eventually follows, trilling at her some more. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I've had several "trillers".
I used to sing to our Toby ~1996-2008~ "...'cause this is Triller! Triller night! And no one's going to save you from the claws about to strike! 'cause this is Triller! Wooo-hooo!..."

IMO, it is an 'invitation' vocalization. Sort of a 'hey, I like you, wanna play?' communication. Not quite as overt as a dog bowing down to invite another to play, but similar in its' intent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of my cats trills all the time, whenever she starts to walk around, or takes a jump up or down, or wakes up, or settles down to sleep etc. She sometimes trills at me or at the other cat, but much of the time she is not trilling directly at either of us.

In my opinion she seems to be trying to communicate, as if to say, "I'm in a happy mood" or "I'm curious about what's going on over here" or "that's interesting." I think she knows that myself and the other cat can hear her trill even when she isn't doing it directly at us, and wants us to know what kind of mood she is in when she does it.

I don't have any scientific basis for any of that, though. I'd be interested in hearing scientific opinions about the reasons for trilling.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Charlee is my triller. She has so many different variations, she sounds like R2D2 sometimes. I love it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feel kind of dumb to be asking this question but what is trilling? I have seen others use this term and I understand that it is a vocal thing cats do but what does it sound like? I may have heard my cats do this and just not known that's what it was.

I used to sing to our Toby ~1996-2008~ "...'cause this is Triller! Triller night! And no one's going to save you from the claws about to strike! 'cause this is Triller! Wooo-hooo!..."
Just have to say I love this! hehe! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Here's a sample:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Short vid of a kitty "trilling". It happens at the very beginning, the 2 seconds mark.

This one's a long vid, but the same kitty "trills" several times.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks so much Marie and Heidi! I have heard cats make that sound before but just didn't know that was the proper term for it. I don't think I have ever heard Sparrow or Salem trill though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Apollo does this all the time too. I think it's a play noise maybe? He seems to do it most when he's playing with Athena, especially when he wants to play but she's ignoring him or hiding from him. Maybe it's a noise they make to tell other cats they want to play?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
We call this 'going to Burma' because Mow sounds like he's saying "Burrrrma".

He usually does it when he wants something..dinner...play...worship... whatever. Occasionally he'll do it when he's asleep and I touch him, he'll lift his head and "Burrrrrma" at me. That's my favorite. It brings on a kissing and snuzzling frenzy.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I didn't think any of my cats trilled much...in fact I didn't know exactly what it was for a while there until I heard it myself. Then we brought Alice into the house, and she trills over everything...eating, jumping, attention-seeking, playing, you name it, she trills for it. She's got Rochelle trilling now too, and the two of them will trill back and forth at each other during play, and it's now the official accepted way to get Mommy out of bed in the morning for breakfast. :roll:

I just love the sound...it's very distinct once you hear it. I think of it as a "Hey, notice me!", "I'm excited!", or "I want something!" sound. They never just do it for the sake of doing it, there's always a reason for trilling with my girls. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Abby trills a lot whenever she wants to play, although she doesn't "trill on command" like the cat in Marie's video!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Here's two having an absolute trilling gabfest!

Female cats in heat also do a lot of trilling.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aww, Sherlock and Sasha trill, though Sasha does it more. She likes to do it when she's playing and wants to be chased, or when she discovers something new to play with. It's cute.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Egypt is my triller. She usually trills to greet me; in the morning and when I get home from work at night. She also does it when she wants to be petted or just wants some love from meowmy :)

I LOVE to hear the sound!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's two having an absolute trilling gabfest!
I was playing this video, and two of our cats perked up their ears wondering where the other cats were.

Serves them right - we are trying to keep them from sleeping this afternoon so they will sleep tonight. Last night they were horsing around until all hours which kept us from sleeping :twisted:.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts