Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm, I feel kind of bad because I see alot of people trim their cats claws, is there a medical reason for this, like does it have to be done for some reason? I have never trimmed Crickets nails... I just thought him clawing at stuff kept them maintained. Oh boy, be gentle

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nail trimming helps prevent injuries such as the cat getting a claw hooked into something and unable to get away. A calw can be pulled out which, as you can imagine is a terrible painful thing.

If you have multiple cats who play together, it helps prevent injuries and it helps prevents inadvertent scratches on humans too.

Sometimes claws will get so long they curl into the pad. Also, as cats walk on their toes, it can be uncomfortable for them if their claws are too long.

And last but not least, it is good for your cat to get used to being handled by you. Would you like tips on how to train your kitty to accept nail trimming?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I think the only real reason to trim them is for your own convenience. Some people trim to protect furniture, others do it to keep themselves from getting scratched.

I'm allergic to cat scratches so I keep my cats' nails trimmed just to avoid that problem.

As far as I know, if you don't trim them, it's usually fine. If they regularly scratch their posts and stuff, they'll shed the old layers of claws as new ones grow in. I have heard of some cats getting claws that grow too long though, so that may be a reason to trim if that happens to your cat. I dunno how common it is.

Edit: Just saw the reply above mine. Forgot about the claws getting caught thing!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the reply. He doesnt scratch the furniture, just the scratching posts on his tree (used to scratch an entry way rug that I didnt care about before I got the tree) and has never taken his claws out on a person, he wont even play with my hand or anything, not even when he was a small kitten. I will keep an eye on the claws to make sure they dont grow.. I may still have to buy a trimmer though because Karma doesnt show the same etiquette when it comes to not scratch at our hands when I pet her.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
The only reason I trim MowMow's is because we play fight all the time and while he's careful about teeth and claws his dew claws always break skin and leave me bloody. I don't usually even have to do his back feet, recently he has started to chew those down himself. Just a few front and his dew claws :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I keep my cats' nails trimmed so they aren't scratching anything and they aren't getting caught on anything. I have seen cats whose nails grew around and into the paw pad though. My instructor at cat grooming school even saw a case where a claw grew around and all the way through the skin to poke out on the other side! Not good at all. As long as you are keeping an eye on them they should be fine though.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
In addition to the reasons already mentioned, I trim because all 3 of mine like to knead on me, especially Holly. 4 needles getting stuck in me for every paw movement....not fun.

·
Registered
760 Posts
In addition to the reasons already mentioned, I trim because all 3 of mine like to knead on me, especially Holly. 4 needles getting stuck in me for every paw movement....not fun.
OH yes, excellent point! I, too would be full of kneading holes if I didn't do nail trims, lol!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have Mandy's nails clipped at her vet's office for a small fee. Her nails get razor sharp and a lot of accidental but painful cat scratches happen if we don't get them done. Also, her back claws get very long and I'm scared they'll get caught in something.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Egypt has long kitten nails (they curl and are thin and get caught in everything). Azalia has really long nails and although she is quite gentle, when the cats are play fighting, they do get vicious at times. When I keep their nails trimmed, I find no scabs along their bodies. The cats do knead us also so that's another incentive, and they also spring off of us to jump onto stuff or eachother. The scratches from their back nails are quite deep and painful when they do this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh I also wanted to add, if you're having trouble with scratching from sharp claws, check out the little nail caps SoftPaws. Most cats adapt pretty easily to them and work really well :) They do need to be replaced every 6-8 weeks or so as the cats nails grow out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our vet has always clipped or cats and dogs nails for free as long as they are regular patients. We usually drop by there every 6 weeks to so and have their nails clipped and ears cleaned. I have never clipped nails since I accidentally clipped my silky's nail too short once and it bled. I let the professionals do it now. However, we no long have my silky as he crossed the rainbow bridge in March.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I never trim Satins nails simply because she will not let me - she does NOT like to be touched when she's not asking for it and she see's no reason for me to be touching her feet - LoL. She has not had a problem with them but I see her chewing on them herself and read somewhere (no I don't remember where) that some cats actually maintain them on their own. Satin seems to do this. Tuffy on the other hand, I have to trim his back claws they get very long and tend to get caught in things if not trimmed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It took 3 years for me to get my Mazy cat to the point where she would accept nail trims (front only, so far, she's been with me over 6 years now). She has a real phobia about having her paws touched, but I was determined.

I did Paw Work with her every day and took her to the groomer every 6 weeks while she was learning. At the groomer there was only ONE person she would allow to trim her claws, while I held her standing on a wooden counter, draped over my arm, slipping her bits of mayonaise into her mouth to keep her from biting us.

Paw work consisted of me taking her onto my lap, and touching each paw (front only) in turn, then giving a treat of mayonaise on the mouth.

As time passed I was able to hold each paw and express the claws. More time passed, and I finally got to the point where I could snip ONE claw. More time passed and I got to the point where I could snip one whole paw. Now I can do both front paws in one quick sitting. She growls and growls through the yummy noises she is making as I put little dots of mayo on her mouth to keep her occupied.

(the growling/yummy noises is hilarious. GrrrrrYUMMYgrrrrimwarningyouYUMrrrryoubettercutthatoutgrrrrrrYUMMMMMgrrrr..)

The whole time I keep telling her, in a soft voice, how proud of her I am and what a good lovey she is. She hates it with a passion, but I AM proud of her that she allows it, as much as she hates it.

Mazy is a biter, came to me unsocialized, the biting habit has been trained out of her, but only on the surface, her need to bite in situations where she feels threatened is still there, she just has good control of it. I'm so proud of her every day I could just burst with joy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts