Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now I've had Punky longer than any other animal.

Sir Swims-a-lot, an orange African Cichlid bit the dust last night. I don't remember when I got him, but I had him for quite some time. Anyone else have a fish live a real long time like that? My aunt had a goldfish in her bathroom for something like six or seven years.

Aside from the large aquarium in the living room I have a small 2.5 gallon aquarium on my desk, Punky and Elly loved to watch him when I sat at the computer.

I've been thinking of getting one of those fat fantail goldfish for the cats to watch... I want something fairly active. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
My bf has about a 10 gallon saltwater tank and used to have a small fish tank on his desk but got rid of it. Sugar loves watching the other fish tank on the arm of the sofa...

The longest living one my bf has it a blue damsel, he got it to start cycling the tank but that fish it tough!! It even made it when my bf moved to another house and didnt take care of the tank as much and it will still surviving!! Of course we thought it was dead but nope, it was still there. He takes very good care of the tank now so rest assured the fishies are ok now in healthy water.

Fun fish are clownfish, and those spotted black and white goby looking ones that shake back and forth, back and forth... If you have a freshwater tank I dont know much but I think tetras look really nice in big groups. :wink:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've had my betta, Mr. Whiskers II, for two years. Mr. Whiskers I lived for three. They're the only two fish I've ever had.

Hmm...I just realized that had nothing to do with what you asked...sorry.

I've been looking at starting an aquarium for a couple years now. It just kills me when fish die, though, so I've decided to do aquatic gardening instead. I can deal with plant death. I'm waiting for my company to move before I start one, though, so it'll be a while longer before I can get started.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A beta would be cool, so would salt water.. but there aren't any petstores in town that sell salt water fish or I'd try it out.

Going to give my tank a few days to run without any fish in there before I buy something else. I'll probably just head to the store and pick something out that catches my eye. I'm reconsidering the goldfish because they're pretty dirty and I don't want to create any extra work for myself.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The only thing with the fancy goldfish is that they are much more delicate than standard goldfish. Fancy goldfish are inbred to look the way they do. And as we all know here, inbreeding eventually weakens the line, hence fancy fish are weak. I found they are very prone to whitespot. They are sposed to have blean filtered water because they also struggle to absorb the O2 from the water. In my experince there i kept 3 in a small plain bowl with just an air pump, did a water change every other day and they did great. But if you want to go by the books they say filtered water ;)
Also watch as some breeds of fish are prone to deciding to jump outta the bowl! I had a japenese weather loach (this is when i went to a 2ft tank instead of a bowl) and i decided to go tropical because all my other cold water fish had died off. In my research i found that these guys can live in tropical water. Anywho, while i empties my tank, gave it a **** good clean out i put the loach in my old bowl. And that guy jumped out at every chance he got! in the end i had to put a plate over it. Also in the petshop i use to work in they got 4 in. They were in a 3ft tank. By the end of the day that we got them delivered they had all jumped out and died.(Mostly overnight!)

anyway, long stroy short, research that the fish is ok with what you want to put them in ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 33 gallon aquarium with about 14 fish in it. I have a Moonlight Gourami and a Rainbow Shark that are absolutely enormous! They have lived for 6 years or more and have survived many movings....my 33 gallon sprung a leak and they had to stay in a 20 gallon for a while, then back into the 33 gallon. They have been in and out of coolers for HOURS while we moved.....and they are still going strong!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Gosh that kitty's head looks so huge compared to the fish, I bet the fish is thinking the same thing! :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm liking the betta idea more and more. I'd probably replace my gravel with marbles and try to keep a live plant.

I'll keep you guys posted :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Amber, your bettas are gorgeous! I'm a big fan of them. I feel like I'm rescuing them and pampering them when I get them out of that tiny little cup. I recently saved two from the "Lily Vase of Death."

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think Bettas are a great idea! I currently have 2 - Wanda is 2 years and Carlos is a year old. Pepe loves looking at Carlos so much he eventually tipped the bowl over. Carlos was fine but I had to move him, but Pepe still loves staring at him - probably plotting how to get onto the fishy shelf, behind my back :roll:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a Betta for 3 years. we named it Angel. She (or he) was the most gorgeous fish! She would follow my finger if I ran it over her tank.
I think they live longer if you put them in a small tank with a bubbler and everything. I think I had a 2 gallon tank. I always worried she was lonley though.
When we moved we had the tank in a different place (obviously :wink: ) and the cats knocked it over one morning (early in the morning...like 4 am) Angel was still alive but her top fin was broken off, she couldnt swim well anymore. I moved the tank to a safer place and she made it for another month or so before she finally died. It was so sad! I cried when we flushed her down! We all gathered in the bathroom and had a fish funeral...every one said a memory of Angel. My husband even came in and said something nice about her. :cry:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If yours looked like the ones in the above pictures it was a male. The females have the same body shape, but not the long flowing fins.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
A betta is a good fish for a small tank. In fact, if their tank is too big, their fins get ragged. Make sure you don't put two bettas together, however. The other name for them is Siamese Fighting Fish. Two males will fight and one will probably kill the other. The male is very rough on the female also. If you can use a transparent tank divider, and put one on each side, they will fan their beautiful fins, but not be able to hurt each other.

I had a corydorus melanistius (spotted catfish) that I called corydorus (how original, huh?) who lived for 5 or 6 years. Mostly, I raised angelfish and live bearers. I love all types of mollies because they don't eat their young--expect for the spotted mollies. The little bumblebee gobies are so cute, but they're fin nippers. Heaven help the fancy guppies!

I don't raise fish anymore, because I took the hobby too far. I had to keep getting tanks so that no eggs or fry would get eaten! I ended up with 11 or 12 aquariums from two to 55 gallons.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If yours looked like the ones in the above pictures it was a male. The females have the same body shape, but not the long flowing fins.
These are some of my female bettas, past and present. If you're lucky, they can be kept together, but sometimes they're just as territorial as the guys:

Padunk, I think getting a betta will be a perfect choice :) I have all four of my males in their own 2.5 gallon tanks, and they all love the room... Very active, no matter what some petstore employees may tell you (how active can you be in a cup?)!

·
Registered
656 Posts
My fish was a male, I actually thought so all along but the girls wanted to have a girl, so how he sorta became a she.

I hate when they put Bettas in a cup! How mean!!! :evil: They are such beautifull fish. They can live with goldfish to I have heard. So you can get a betta and a couple goldfish.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
There's a problem with goldfish in a two gallon tank. They grow in proportion to the size of tank they are in. So we are inadvertently stunting their growth unless we put them in a large tank.

I had two fancy fin bugeyed goldfish that grew to be about five inches--plus fins!--Quasimoto and the Black Baron ( a bug eyed moor). This was a long time ago. I'm thinking that they might have been 6-7 inches. They were so fat! They were the "pigs" in the 55 gallon tank. Sometimes there was a ten inch "streamer" hanging from them. That's why people call them dirty fish.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
betta tropical, goldfish cold water...?
am i getting confused here or something?
as far as i knew cold water would be too cold for betta, and tropical water isnt good for goldfish- it makes them grow quicker, but also i heard they end up having more problems, eg fungus infections.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I wouldn't put the goldfish in with the betta in a small tank like that, because I think it would be unkind. However, my goldfish were in a community tank with black and blacklace angels (which I raised and traded for fish food), conles angels, silver angels, tinfoil barbs, a red finned shark, and a plecostomus.

When two angels were preparing a leaf or thermometer to spawn on, I had a tank ready for them and raised the temperature several degrees. The main tank was kept at about 74 degrees F, and I raised the temp. a few degrees in the spawning tank. Since I kept my house at about 74, I had no problems with the tank being too warm, no fungus infections, no ick, nothing. My goldfish died of overeating and old age, I believe. I had a betta in that group in a 29 gallon tank at one time, but I used a tank divider for the betta.

I guess I should have been born in a tropical climate. I remember my uncle in Scotland saying Glasgow was having a terrible heat wave, with the temp. in the 70's for a whole week. I would have been chilly! I hate winter. :( 80-85 degrees outside and 73-74 inside is perfect for me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My Betta lived in a un heated room tempature tank her (his) entire life.

Also I never had a gold fish with her in her tank, I always thought she might be lonley all alone so one day I asked the lady at the pet store. She told me Bettas could live with gold fish and not fight. I never did add a gold fish to her tank though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts