Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post. A little background on my cats : Marigold is a few months old. I adopted her from someone giving kittens away on Craigslist. I also have a seven year old cat named Lily. I adopted Lily in a similar fashion when she was a kitten.

For the past seven years it's been me and Lily. I recently went through a breakup, moved into a small apartment, and decided I was ready for another cat. I would have preferred another adult cat to be honest, but I knew Lily wouldn't get along with another adult (we've lived with roommates with cats in the past and it hasn't been harmonious). It was suggested I get a kitten because Lily's natural instincts would take over and they'd get along better.

Lily has been great with the kitten. They snuggle and clean each other. They play which only gets a little rough when Lily is ready to stop, but Marigold doesn't get the hint.

I, on the other hand, am having trouble adjusting. Marigold climbs the walls (literally) and won't stay off the kitchen table/counter tops/dressers. I've been trying to train her with the spray bottle, but no luck so far and she has tons of toys and giant cat tree for climbing. I play with her during the day to try and get her to sleep at night and have been on top of feeding times, but she's still up racing around the apartment every day between 4 and 6am. It's exhausting. She climbs my legs. It was cute when she was itty bitty, but now that she has some weight to her it's painful. Even trying to pet her is a struggle. She bites or grabs my hands with her front paws and then kicks at my hands with her back paws.

I love her. Don't get me wrong. Giving her up isn't an option, but I have to be honest when I say I've thought about it more than once. I just don't feel like I've been able to bond with her and find myself getting frustrated. Any input on what I could be doing different would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,724 Posts
Wow, this brings back memories. I adopted the twins when they were 9 weeks old. I actually had to take all my curtains down. My other two cats, Cinderella and Cleo, were good cats, stayed off counters, didn't break anything, stayed off tables, etc. When the twins arrived, everything changed. Cleo even picked up on their bad habits. And Cali was my biter. I would say "OUCH!" and put her down away from me whenever she bit or clawed. It took a while, but she didn't like being ignored, so she grew out of this habit. As far as the counters go, it's not a fight you will win. Keep it safe for your kitten, and as boring as possible. She's not really even being bad, cats just like to be up high. As far as getting up early, kittens just have so much energy, they need to wake up and get going. I mean, there are counters and tables that haven't been jumped on for HOURS. And the water bottle? Didn't work with Cali. She would brace for it, close her eyes, and then keep on doing her thing, just a little wetter.

Just know that this won't last forever.

Everyone sees kittens and go "awwwwwww", but kittens are hard work. I feed my girls right before I go to bed. They groom, use the litter box, and sleep after eating. My twins didn't really need me for the first few months because they had each other, but then they both became Mommy's girls.

Reactions: tinamichael

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
There's a rule about kitties...".never use your hands to play with them".....they can't seem to resist biting. So always try and have a toy to redirect her to it instead of your hands. If she bites your ankles. stamp your foot hard on the floor with a loud "NO!" and then walk away into another room, and close the door if she's following. She will soon learn that this isn't going to result in play. But do play with her with wand toys to siphon off some of her energy. A lot of cats like ping pong balls to bat around, often in a dry bath tub. Get some of those puzzles that discard treats when rolled around or she has to reach through holes to get them. As for jumping on kitchen counters, dressers, suggest you get some plastic Cat Mat Scat Prickle Strips....the little spikes should deter her from your counters. Check your local Amazon or hardware store for them.
Cat Scat Mat Pest Repellent Pest Prickle Strip Stop cat mat 6.5FT Green: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Also consider a little more "catification", with the addition of some higher shelves that she can navigate.

Hopefully, you'll find some of these suggestions will help. Kittens can be very rambunctious some more so than others, but they do calm down quite a bit once they get to be a year old. Do enjoy her calm cuddle moments tho with lots of cheek and chin scrunches and find her spots she likes best to have stroked. All the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts